Weird Vin, No Trim tag, Clean title, no history, What is this???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Weird Vin, No Trim tag, Clean title, no history, What is this???

i would do what i want to it and drive it and never say nothing to no one until you find out what it really is (by youre own research that is )

Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Default 69 camaro 2PC vin

I know this is an old thread but i'll try and resurrect the curriosity. I now own the car and am at a standstill title wise with the guy that bill sold the car to and i bought from. so for the time being i'm just doing a little searching around. Haven't found much more than the gentlemen in this thread has not covered. however i did take the firewall down to bare metal to find there is not a hidden vin on the cowl but there is some numbers under the heater box. i'm going to try and post the picture to see if anyone can help decipher them. Thanks for any help provided.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 AM

i cannot upload pictures but i'll do my best to describe what i have taken a picture of.

[K] [38 ?]

this is exactly what i see with the brackets being the exterior outlines of the punch and the numbers being the only thing i can decipher. i have no clue on how to interpret this as i have not seen anything of the sort. please let me know if you know anything that will help. thank you. also if anyone needs to email me for questions Cooley750@gmail.com i will check back on the post from time to time to see if there are any new replies. thanks again

Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

From what I've seen of the numbers on the bulkhead (firewall to others) is the last letter of the vin and the last six numbers of it, i.e. N5130483. The K 38 makes me believe it to be an export car that was brought back into the states. With any luck you may get an answer from GM as to what they did stamp there on the export cars. It seems to me that I've heard of another car with that stamping from Australia.

Good luck with your quest!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 PM

Thank you for responding. That gives me a direction to focus on. If i discover any new information i will be sure to post.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 PM

When I lived in Austin Texas, I bought a '69 Camaro. The ad said it needed an engine and transmission. I had wrecked my 79 Z28, so I figured What the heck? I found an ad for this for 650.00 and pounced on it. I dropped my 4 speed transmission and 327 that I found in a junk yard after I rebuilt it into the car. I didn't realize it had a bunch of rust in it, so I had to find a body shop that would take care of it. I bought a bunch of parts for it and gave the owner of the body shop 2k to start on it. He was taking his time on it. I went back week after week to see that he made very little progress. Then, he got called out to Desert Storm...he was in the Guard...He came back 6 months later and again, week after week I went to see the progress or lack thereof...one day I showed up and didn't see my car. I asked the Mexicans that were working there where he was and they said he left. I asked where my car was and they said He took everything. I called the police and made the report. That was in 1987. They dropped the case due to "lack of evidence". I nervously laughed and said you're kidding right? No sir...I said there's lack of evidence, because my car was gone and he was gone. That's how criminals get away with being criminals. The VIN is 124379L502690. I have searched for it on sites to no avail. I figure he either parted it out or he took it to Mexico and sold it. Either way, I'm out of luck...:-<

Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Mike its unfortunate to hear of your loss, and a little surprising your car has not showed up anywhere on the market. After fighting with the guy (Michael Haltom) in texas on the title i finally just decided to pop smoke and get away from it. So i had to take a significant loss due to the incompetence of someone that cant even fill out the back of a title correctly! I'm just glad he was far enough away that i didn't feel like taking a days ride or i probably would've went to prison. However i can be somewhat thankful for owning the car because i worked on it for about 3-4 months when i returned from Afghanistan and i have no doubt that it helped me to keep my sanity while trying to adjust. It sucks that i lost the funds that i did in it but the knowledge i learned from working on the car and building the motor was priceless. I just had to make that decision to keep dragging it out or just dump it and learn from my mistakes. Maybe once i finish my engineering degree i can build another with proper identification and history. Best of wishes to you mike maybe yours will show up on the market soon to give you a little closer on it.