68 Headlight Vacuum to Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM
April 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default 68 Headlight Vacuum to Electric Conversion

I have a 68 SS/RS that I want to convert to electric and rid myself of the vacuum controllers forever!

Anyone used the Detroit Speed DSE122002 kit or similar?

If so, how was the installation and how does it perform?

Thanks!

-Craig

Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey Craig,

All I can tell you on this is, I talked to a guy that had a 67 and he converted over to electric and said it was the best thing that he ever did. He didn't mention a specific kit, but I thought he mentioned he got it from Classic Industries????

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wonder why the guy with the 67 "converted over" to electric when it was already electric from the factory? 68 & 69 has the vacuum setup.
I have the DIY conversion plans which uses Chrysler LeBaron headlight motors. A little more fabrication work I'm sure, but then you're saving at least $350 that way.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm trying to think how this went, this was a little bit ago?

It was a beautiful red Camaro, like Craigs and it had hideaways on it. Maybe it was a 68 and he put electronics on from a 67, is that possible?

He said the electronic way, was the way to go and things worked so much better.

I can tell you the thing I really remember about the car, this was at Maple Grove raceway and when he was leaving to go to the stagging lanes, so guy pulled right out on him and smashed the entire quarter.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

You could put 67 motors on a 68 but you woul probably be better if with a aftermarket kit because the 67 motors are junk. It's part of the reason chevy went to vacuum in 68.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
April 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have good vacuum, the one way valve is good, no leaks etc... but the right opens after about 45 seconds, the left after 2 minutes or so. I have had them out, checked for binds, lubrication, used a hand held vacuum pump...you name it. I'm done with these things.

What kind of modifications are required to use the Chrysler motors?

Bruce, thanks for the compliment. By the way, do you have a picture of your car from the rear? I want to see whp those tires look tucked in like that.

-Craig

Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have to get out a shovel to find where the plans are hiding in my office. They're in here somewhere!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
You could put 67 motors on a 68 but you woul probably be better if with a aftermarket kit because the 67 motors are junk. It's part of the reason chevy went to vacuum in 68.

I agree. The aftermarket motors are way better than the oem. Have a friend who installed a kit from Ricks.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM
April 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I ended up with the Detroit Speed kit. The install went smooth and WOW, what a difference. I mean they open instantly and close instantly. No slamming, very quiet operation. It is nice jump in the car and go at night without waiting for the vacuum actuators to wake up.

I did however leave the vacuum canister and hoses in place (plugged of course) just to keep the stock appearing looks.

-Craig

Originally Posted by bruce69camaro
I'm trying to think how this went, this was a little bit ago?

It was a beautiful red Camaro, like Craigs and it had hideaways on it. Maybe it was a 68 and he put electronics on from a 67, is that possible?

He said the electronic way, was the way to go and things worked so much better.

I can tell you the thing I really remember about the car, this was at Maple Grove raceway and when he was leaving to go to the stagging lanes, so guy pulled right out on him and smashed the entire quarter.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 PM

I have the DSE kit on my 69 Camaro and it works great. A smart move to convert to a newer system. Now if the car is a all matching numbers car, I would say don't do it, but if you are building a custom car or protour car go for it

Quick Reply: 68 Headlight Vacuum to Electric Conversion