Extreme 9000 Base Coat/Clear Coat System

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Extreme 9000 Base Coat/Clear Coat System

Has anyone used the Extreme 9000 Base Coat/Clear Coat paint system ? When I priced a gallon of Viper red base coat paint at the local auto paint stores they all quoted it at $900. per gallon ( yes $900. ) for just the paint alone . All other additives and clears are extra. I was talking to a local guy that does restorations on Corvettes , Camaros, and 66 and 67 Novas and he showed me a couple cars that he did using the Extreme 9000 base system and they were show quality for a fraction of the cost. But this paint is very touchy to work with. It is very sensitive to humidity so the base has to be totally dry or it will lift and wrinkle when you apply the clear. If it is 50% or above humidity it can take up to days for the base to dry enough to apply the clear coat. I bought more than enough to paint one car but everything on this car is getting painted red so I bought two gallon of base with activator and two gallon of Urethane clear with two quarts of activator and the total cost was $349. ( yes $349. ) but one of the negatives with the clear activator is that it says on the label that once it is opened for the first time , it should not be used after 7 days. This creates a problem if you just want to paint a few pieces and lose most of the activator. I have been using the paint with good results but doubt if I will use it again since the company out of Missouri advertises 24/7 tech advice and never returns calls or emails after the sale. So you can be the judge. Is it worth the hassle ?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Ive never used or heard of that paint but i know what you mean about the price because some manufacturers have different prices for different pigments where others are the same across the board. I spray Standox at work but talking with the paint rep, even with standox costing more than chromabase (cromax now), the gallon of cb would cost more because of their pricing structure. As far as the base taking days to dry, i would be hesitant of that because most paints i have sprayed only have a recoat window of 24 hours before they say they need to be scuffed again. Definitely make sure you are using the proper reducer for the conditions you are spraying in.

Is the clear extreme also, or a different brand? Ive had activator harden in the container before, but not in 7 days. Mostly it was due to being cheap clear and the lid of the container not seating/sealing properly. Is the clear a 2:1, 3:1, or 4:1 mix? It would cost a little more overall, but you can check and see if they sell the hardener in smaller amounts like pints if you are worried about it hardening in the container