Engine Code Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM

I would really like to keep the old-school 350.
How much hp/torque could I expect from some decent heads, cam, intake swap?

i know the '71 had a much lower compression (I think around (8.5/1) than the previous models.
Maybe I could increase the compression for a decent gain?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you have any history about the engine you have now? Just because your block is a 1971 casting doesn't mean it's still a vintage build 71. Mine is built on a 72 block, but it certainly doesn't act like one, lol

Old 02-12-2019, 07:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Do you have any history about the engine you have now? Just because your block is a 1971 casting doesn't mean it's still a vintage build 71. Mine is built on a 72 block, but it certainly doesn't act like one, lol
Exactly, you need to find out what you have and yes if it's stock compression a bump up can make more power with the right associated parts.
The sky is the limit with a SBC given they've been hot-rodded for over 60 years now,it's all about your expectations and what you want to spend.
That and the line of reliability and drivability VS power.
You can certainly make an easy 400hp at the wheels and still have a reliable street friendly driver that won't break the bank..

Old 02-12-2019, 03:02 PM

I'm not sure where I sit right now but 400 at the wheel sounds great.

I've got some headers hooked to flowmasters, and a Holley 670 carb, roller rocker arms, MSD distributor but everything else is pretty much stock from what I can tell. Still the original winters intake manifold and stock heads.

I appreciate any parts advice you guys may have to up the power numbers. I wouldnt mind spending a little more money to turn a few more heads.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69garnetcamaro
I'm not sure where I sit right now but 400 at the wheel sounds great.

I've got some headers hooked to flowmasters, and a Holley 670 carb, roller rocker arms, MSD distributor but everything else is pretty much stock from what I can tell. Still the original winters intake manifold and stock heads.

I appreciate any parts advice you guys may have to up the power numbers. I wouldnt mind spending a little more money to turn a few more heads.

Not sure why anyone would put roller rockers on stock heads with a stock cam ,doesn't make much sense.
Are you planning to rebuild the motor completely or just looking to add a few bits?
Parts need to be matched, a big cam with stock compression and heads you could actually lose power for instance.
If you are doing a complete rebuild you can go higher compression and get better heads that will support more cam etc.
There are some engine kits from folks like Edlebrock that have the research already done so you don't have any guesswork and get a build with proven HP numbers.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:21 PM

I would like to rebuild the motor if I could do it on a budget ($2-3k). I checked the casting on the heads and they showed 3973487 which came back to a 71 350 engine. I'm assuming the cam is still original as well.

Im beginning to think I could put in a crate from somewhere like summit for not much more money and come out better in the long run.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69garnetcamaro
I would like to rebuild the motor if I could do it on a budget ($2-3k). I checked the casting on the heads and they showed 3973487 which came back to a 71 350 engine. I'm assuming the cam is still original as well.

Im beginning to think I could put in a crate from somewhere like summit for not much more money and come out better in the long run.

Crates aren't a bad way to go but I have to ask does your motor need a rebuild or do you just want a bit more out of it?
If it runs good maybe just get a little work done of the heads and slip in a cam, a mild port job and a good midrange cam can really wake up a decent running 350 of that vintage. It would be enough to feel it in the seat of the pants and make it sound cool with a nice little lope at idle. What does your car have for rear end gears? Do you do much highway driving? Swapping to lower gears (higher numerically) can really make a huge difference in acceleration off the line, if you drive a lot of highway you might not want to go too much lower or make a change depending on what you have now but it's a pretty low cost way to get a lot more punch when to step on the fun pedal. My '01 has 3:42's with a 6 speed stick and I can't even use 6th gear below 65 mph so I'm swapping in a set of 3:90's. Still enough highway speed since I have a 6 speed but I don't drive highway much anyway , I'll like the better snap off the line and being able to use 6th gear more often.