67 RS headlight wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 67 RS headlight wiring problem

Can't get this figured out Passenger side seems to be OK. The problem is the drivers side The limit switches seem to be functioning properly ie turn off motor when they should. The problem is the drivers side motor is tuning the wrong direction and can't seem to get it to go the right direction and everything still works.
It seems the obvious solution is to reverse the motor connection wires, but am I missing something
tried moving the LH limit witches, and got the motor to turn right direction, but then the limit switches were all wrong

Last edited by gmshadow; 08-25-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update, found a different wiring diagram that reversed the purple and grey wires to the limit switches and all seems to be working as intended now. Still need to tighten up the drive washers as motors just spinning, but at least spinning in right directions. Not sure just how going to do that yet.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't believe I've ever seen a wiring diagram that showed the colors of the motor leads that connect to the limit switches. But you're right, the door motors have opposite rotations to open and this can be changed by reversing the polarity of the motor leads of the motor with the improper rotation. This could be done at the switches, as you've done, or at the connector for the motor moving the wrong direction. I'm assuming there was enough wire length to swap the purple and gray wires from one switch to the other. I would think this would be the preferred place to make the correction.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

All the diagrams pretty much show the different wire colors, but it seems they don't all agree on what goes where. They also don't tell you which is switch is where. The inner switch seems to be the one on the headlight and the outer is the one on the radiator support. Left all this here for the next person that comes along trying to figure out what goes where. Fortunately for me when they put the tilt front on and eliminated the RS headlights they kept all the original wiring and just taped it all up , except for the under dash diode. Guess had to remove that so the headlights would work.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:22 AM

Hello, I recently picked up a beautiful 67 and i used your diagram to install the limit switches. The previous owner either swapped out the SS headlights and just installed a used set of RS lights, or they were replaced by one of the prior owners. This guy I bought it off of has Velcro tabs holding the RS lights in the closed position, no motors, no limit switches, no relay switches, and no wiring. So needless to say i've got my work cut out for me since i got all the necessary prats to do the job right, there is very few comprehensive [beginning to end videos or schematics out there] Im new to the site, there may very well be all the info i need, but i am tackling the project one step at a time. With Covid keeping everyone quarantined, and it being too cold to be out in the garage, i went ahead and modified your helpful schematic for the limit switches and the color coding of the wires. I hope this helps someone out. Paying it forward.

Attached Files