67 RS headlight door wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 67 RS headlight door wiring

I'm repairing my 67 after several years. The headlight doors haven't worked in quite a while. I bought new motors, relays, limit switches, and a new harness. I have the doors opening with the headlight switch, but they won't close with the switch off. I know that they need to have the Ign. on for them to close, but they aren't getting a ground. It look like they ground through the first relay where the battery power starts, actually, if I use my test light on the blue wire from the headlight switch, they close. From the schematic, it appears that the blue wire should ground at that first relay, but it isn't. The relays are new and they ohm out ok, but they aren't letting it go to ground. This has made me crazy for a couple weeks, any help will be greatly appreciated. Ernie

Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM

Big Ern,
Silly question, but do you have the headlights connected? This same problem kicked my butt years ago, turned out the headlamps had to be connected to complete the circuit.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

do you mean the bulbs ???? No, I'm still test fitting my parts. Can it be that simple?? I didn't see the headlight bulbs in the schematic

Old 06-18-2018, 03:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

But thank you , I'll check it out. I'm afraid that I may have fried one of my relays because suddenly I've lost the closing again.........AUGH !!!!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

H1Gunner, thanks so much, how would anyone guess that the doors wouldn't operate without headlight bulbs....... ??????? It seems that it wouldn't have been too much to ask for that to be part of the wiring schematic

Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by H1Gunner
Big Ern,
Silly question, but do you have the headlights connected? This same problem kicked my butt years ago, turned out the headlamps had to be connected to complete the circuit.
I'm pretty new at this forum, haven't quite figured out how to navigate, but thank you for the help, that was the thing missing. Who would have known ????

Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM

Yes, the bulbs have to be connected in order to complete the circuit, who would have thunk it. Right? And yes it can fry relays if you are not careful. And key has to be on or relays burn also

Old 06-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Ern
do you mean the bulbs ???? No, I'm still test fitting my parts. Can it be that simple?? I didn't see the headlight bulbs in the schematic
Originally Posted by Big Ern
I'm pretty new at this forum, haven't quite figured out how to navigate, but thank you for the help, that was the thing missing. Who would have known ????
yes I am new also, sorry for not getting back sooner. I chased that problem one night in the 90s, ran thru a 12 pack and a 1/2 pack of smokes before it hit me to try it with bulbs connected.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by H1Gunner
yes I am new also, sorry for not getting back sooner. I chased that problem one night in the 90s, ran thru a 12 pack and a 1/2 pack of smokes before it hit me to try it with bulbs connected.
The answer was in the 12th beer!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Al Loyrat
The answer was in the 12th beer!
you are 100% correct! I was sitting g on a milk crate about 1 am cussing the car a d having a beer. As I looked at the front end, it hit me! Beer works wonders

Quick Reply: 67 RS headlight door wiring