New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Newbie exhchange student from Aus...Just bought a Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Newbie exhchange student from Aus...Just bought a Camaro!

How you all doing,

My name's Tim and I just bought myself the car that I've wanted to own ever since I was 5 years old!
Basically, back in Australia when I was growing up, I watched this show called Knight Rider and got into cars because of it. David Hasslewhatever wasn't the attraction, no, that would be the Pontiac Trans am (or camaro in this case). Well owning one of those cars in my country is a difficultproposition because of Gas prices and insurance and lack of parts and and and......you get the idea. Since I am living in America however, it makes a lot more sense

Well, I would have liked a firebird for the simple novelty of having a car that looked like KITT but, I found a hell of a camaro for very little money and I know that an F body is an F body....especially when she has the holy grail under the bonnet. Yes, I got one with a 350ci neck snapper!

What she is,

1985 Chevrolet Camaro
350 cubic inch V8 (No 305 for me!)
4 Barrel carb
Lumpy cam
Auto (I know, I know....should have been a manual though, it shifts perfectly!)
The worlds worst handling...aka great in a straight line lol
She has a few problems though nothing to do with the engine/gearbox/ brakes which are perfect.....starts first time, every time :-) so, nothing too bad
(have now priced All the parts to get her on th roadat $280)
The price for the car you ask?

$500!!!!!

The 350 is very healthy and I am simplyamazed at the performance! It bloody flies!.....er...in a straight line.

Now, I am currently trying to figure out where the engine came from excatly becuase, the 85's only came out with an injected 350 and mine well, isn't so, I'll keep you all updated with that one....once I find where they stamped the engine number.

Now on to where I got it. My friends mother found it in an online classified called 'Cars.com' the place?.....180-200 miles from Boone.......A placecalled Greenville, SouthCarolina.
I looked into the rules of buying a car and then driving it home. On a weekend (when I bought it) it simply cannot be done. So driving was out then?

Well here's where the story becomes interesting. After hearing about all the
problemsmy friends had back home renting a truck/car trailer to transport a car I assumed that it would be an issue for me too, particularly considering I am not American. How wrong I was. Not only did 'U haul' rent me a vehicle capable of the job, they never enquired about my age/license/nationality. And for just $220 (280 after fuel) I had me a 17 foot truck with an 'Auto Transport' trailer to play with! Socking great V8 and all! Good times.

So, rented the truck, saw the car, liked it, bought it and drove my ? ton truck, ?kg trailer and 1500 odd kg Camaro back to Boone....I cannot put into words how freekin cool that was!

So now I have my wheels and in the next week and a half will be painting it ($50 appliance enamel paint job...has to be done!) fixing the zaust,second hand tyresand a couple of other very minor things....and then for around a thousand dollars I will
be driving my very own......

American Muscle car!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Newbie exhchange student from Aus...Just bought a Camaro!

wow sounds exciting! Welcome aboard

Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

WOW, welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found the car you have always wanted, you got a hell of a deal. If you think the 350 is a neck snapper, look into the 572 or the 454...[sm=icon_sneaky.gif], those babies can relocate body parts, lol. Sweet score on the paint, I would like to see a pic of it when it's done, thats funny. I can't believe U Haul didn't ask questions...just be careful with their rentals, a variety of them are pulled off the road for unsafe vehicles, but glad you got your baby safe and sound.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear member

welcome on, good to have you

Old 10-14-2007, 07:58 PM
June 2007 ROTM

pics?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Heh, great story behind it

I just saw my 'maro sitting in front of a local grocery store with "For Sale" written on it and I knew it had to be mine.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 AM

Cheers for the welcome guys,

Painted her today! Will take some photo's tommorrow and post them up.....she looks bloody awesome now!

1 week and counting till it's on the road...