New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

2014 RS Uses Oil Dealer is blowing me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Exclamation 2014 RS Uses Oil Dealer is blowing me off

I have a 2014 Camaro RS with a v6, 45,000 miles on it, It has been back to the dealer numerous times for the Ignition Switch (still not fixed) Cracked a cylinder head (replaced it but now it uses oil), Numerous times because it jumps out of park (still not fixed) the warranty runs out soon and I am afraid they are blowing me off till they don't have any obligations to repair it. A couple weeks ago I took it in because it was using oil and the check engine light was on and they said it had a misfire so they changed a spark plug that was oil fouled and was going to charge $250.00 for it! I complained about it being oil fouled so they decided to warranty it! They told me to bring it back in 1000 miles and they would check the oil to see how much oil it uses and sent me on my way. Yesterday I was looking under the hood and noticed this epoxy looking glue on the oil cap, dipstick and an unknown reservoir (see pictures). I called the dealership and they said it was a "scientific Test" and if I had checked the oil or removed the cap they would have to start the test over again? How the hell is that a scientific test? and if it was why wouldn't they tell me not to check the oil? it is not sealed, it is only put on the side so they can tell if it has been tampered with. And it is still misfiring. I think they are blowing smoke till they can get past the warranty. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails 2014 RS Uses Oil Dealer is blowing me off-1.jpg   2014 RS Uses Oil Dealer is blowing me off-2.jpg   2014 RS Uses Oil Dealer is blowing me off-3.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 AM

You're right, the dealer is giving you the run around.
IMO, it's time to contact GM corporate. Then the BBB and maybe a lawyer.
I 'hope' you have lots of documentation to prove your side of the story, because you know GM has big buck lawyers.
Good Luck

Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They are making sure the oil level was not "adjusted" by an outside variable. They should have told you not to mess with it.

GM has always been a pain when you try to turn in warranty work for oil consumption. Back in the 80's we did not have to do tests like this but it would not surprise me if this is a GM process. Back in the 80's 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered normal. Now that you have had a plug foul it should be a game changer but I do not know GM's current policy.

Did you buy this car new? I don't know your situation but i would either trade the car in or extend the GM warranty. It is a lot cheaper to extend the warranty while the car is still under warranty then it is if you let it lapse. Be sure they don't sell you 3rd party warranty. There is only one GM approved extended warranty accepted at all dealers. Of course you should not have to buy an extended warranty but it seem you drew the short straw.

I have seen problem cars like this before. A lot of times they are X rental cars but I have seen people buy cars new and just have a ton of issues. I believe it comes from a problem early in the cars life like it got way overheated, warranty fixed the issue that caused the overheat but the overheating put the equivalent to 100,000 miles of wear on the drive train. It can also put in micro cracks that will not show up for years. There is no cost effective way to measure how much an overheating hurt a engine.

Work with the dealers,,, Do not complain to GM yet. If you go in there as a adversary they already assume they have lost you as a customer. They know your going to complain, they will most likely go by the GM warranty to the letter. But if you go in there and say "we have this issue, its under warranty how can we get it right". I have seen Service mangers bend the rules to the point of breaking them for nice customers. Once that is all exhausted then complain to GM. In some rare cases if the dealer has exhausted all its approved warranty options a complain can result in a call to the area GM rep for approval above normal procedures just to get the call closed. Extending the warranty also tells the dealer you are not going away and they might as well fix this right now or get use to you be there.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-19-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Whiplash, to the Club.
Follow Gorn's advice and work with the dealer.
Keep your receipts from previous work performed so you can show the dealer the function fixed does not work still.

Don't add oil, let them do it, as they are testing consumption.
Follow their orders to the 'T'.

Yes, I have dealt with GM dealer on my new '88 Dually at the time, as the problem was then, running hot, gauge on 240°F.
They replied as long as it does not puke, boil over, there is not a problem.
I have added an alum radiator, and an high flow 180°F thermostat, and temp runs 210°F. Still today, have not replaced anything, knock on wood.