LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

WP/Coolant temp sensor problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default WP/Coolant temp sensor problem.

New reman. Cardone WP and the hole for the temp sensor seems to be off. The threads in the WP for the sensor are not fouled in any way, but the sensor will not screw in straight it will only go in at an angle. It goes in smooth and tightens down but coolant still seeps out. Ive tried using both the tape and paste thread sealant and neither seems to work. So I'm thinking I need to just go back and get another WP, any advice or further suggestion? I know the sensor is suppose to go on straight and even but it seems as if the hole in the WP is off...my luck.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep take it back. what thread sealant did you use, permatex?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

i would bring the wp back and swap it out. by any chance do you go to one of those major chain auto parts stores. i have had nothing but trouble with just about everything i bought from them places. i only go to them places in an emergency. i replaced the motor in my 93 f150 and went to pep boys and picked up all new sensors for the brand new long block i was dropping in. a few of them where wrong from the get go when i went back with the old ones in hand to show/compare with they told me that there computer shows the part being correct and some one must of changed the motor out with a diffent year prior to me owning it. well when i told them i bought the truck new in early 94 and i have never replaced the motor there reply was i dont know what to tell you. then the rest of the sensors all went bad in a 1 year period. Another time when i first got my camaro the alternator went bad on me and the first parking lot for me to pull in was a pep boys i went in and bought a reman alternator from them changed it in there parking lot turned out the thing was DOA. by the time i got it back out it was 5 min to closing and they refused to let me in and swap it out for another one. had to get the car towed home. sorry for the long post was just venting a little

Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok, well I believe I figured out the problem. The hole is still slightly angled but that wasn't the overall problem. Do they put some sort of 'finish' or spray paint on the WP's to give them that new clean look? I was thinking that could be it because just to be sure, I chased the threads within the temp sensor hole and it was catching a lot. So I carefully took my tap, and made sure not to cross thread. I cut away a silver like finish from within the threads and it exposed the clean threads. I cleaned out the hole to make sure no sealant was left in and started to put the sensor back. I used tape this time just to check, tightened the sensor all the way down and filled up the coolant. No leakage this time...?

Long story short, now the motor is completely back together and everything hooked up and all fluids topped off. She runs perfect and no leaks, not even from the WP temp sensor....so what you think about them spraying some sort of finish on them, or did I just get a freak?

Used Permatex sealant.

Last edited by JGuy07; 01-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

aluminum will corrode and that could cause the threads to become deformed over time. could be that. i have used new pumps and have not had an issue.