LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

wont crank over

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Default wont crank over

Hi guys, I have a 96 z28 lt1, I have a few questions regarding it not turning over. Shes an automatic.

It died in the driveway, I thought it was the battery, tried jumping, not it, tried different battery, not it. Then we changed the optispark, nothing, then we changed the starter. Nothing. All it does is click, and all the lights turn on stereo everything but the engine will not crank over. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Back to the brick is coming next week!trying to get her going before that!

Last edited by pitcamaros; 08-10-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: information
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Can you turn the engine over manually by using a socket on the harmonic balancer? If so, Check the wiring junction box on the fender well and make sure that the wires and the connection are clean and shiny. Also check the ground post on that fender as well clean any crud that is between the wires and the fender. Battery cables, both ends need to be clean and tight.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree first find out if the motor is siezed up. did the motor turn over when you were taking the balancer off? sorry but i got to ask,,, why did you change the opti?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:09 PM

optispark changed because it was dumping raw fuel in my cyclinder prior to all this, had the order up there wrong, sorry. Then went out to start the car and it was dead, with the clicking. Im almost positive the motor isn't seized up. Ill check all the wiring later tonight. Thanks

Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to our Forum .... and we need more info about this, so we can help.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Question

What ya need to know? It is a 1996 z 28, lt1, has a new optispark, has viper alarm, all the lights work still, the stereo. Put new optispark in due to running rich, had it read, guy at auto shop, 3 shops said it needed new optispark, installed new optispark. It was really running like crap when I had it read. Has not run since, it died in the drive way before I got to change the opti. it wouldn't start,that is when all the clicking started when trying to turn the key. Changed the starter, realized that a bolt had broken off the starter. New starter installed, still only the clicking when turning the key. Thought battery was a problem prior to the starter being changed, it was not the battery.

Plugs and wires were already changed last summer, thought it was missing/needed a tune up so it got one. It is put up for the winter, and started fine during the winter.

1. running rich, dumping gas, had code read, 3 shops said it needed new distributer.

2. Went to move the car to instal new opti, wouldn't start, only clicked while lights and radio still worked.

3.Installed new opti-still wouldn't start.

4.Thought it was the battery, not the battery.

5.Installed new starter, still wont' start. all it does is click click click. Boo!

And now I'm here, I still have to go through all the grounds and check all of that stuff, which I will be doing with my buddy tomorrow. I don't really know what else to do at this point.

Back to the Bricks is next week! I wanted the car to be there, so I guess we will have to see if we can get her going.

If you need anything else please let me know!

Thanks for the welcome too!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

You may have a bad hot - side battery cable, Had a very similar experience with my truck, the silonoid stuck and it took 30 seconds to get the battery cable off, but it got hot and lost its conductivity. Put a new one on and it was fine, also a new silonoid. I havent had this problem in the Camaro, hoping someone could be more help. Double check the connections by removing and cleaning them, and do not use Dielectric grease on them, tried that once and had to remove it. Is the clicking the starter or a relay in the fuse box under the hood ?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the help and ideas! Got her runnin and went out to the bricks with her last night! I just cleaned the ground wire, and put the starter on the right way-my buddy was helping me out and put it on wrong. The new starter had 4 posts and the old had 3, so we weren't sure how the new one was suppose to go on. I got sick of having it sit and went out and changed the way the starter was on, and she ran so I must of put it on right now!