LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey I know Im coming In a little Late on the Post.. But I was running a best of 13.92 in my 94 Z before some self mods... I did the egr and smog pump removal... a throttle body bypass.. descreened the MAF.... Hallowed out my stock Cat. and cut open a Flowmaster Exhause and hallowed it out so it was just a shell.... It sounded Great...and I was running 13.60's all day..... then later put on a CAI and 3.73's to get down to 13.3's then cracked a Head and Started my Stroker Project!! LoL ... if you wanna see some vids of my car doing it go to youtube and type in wicked94z28 to check it out!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wicked94z28
Hey I know Im coming In a little Late on the Post.. But I was running a best of 13.92 in my 94 Z before some self mods... I did the egr and smog pump removal... a throttle body bypass.. descreened the MAF.... Hallowed out my stock Cat. and cut open a Flowmaster Exhause and hallowed it out so it was just a shell.... It sounded Great...and I was running 13.60's all day..... then later put on a CAI and 3.73's to get down to 13.3's then cracked a Head and Started my Stroker Project!! LoL ... if you wanna see some vids of my car doing it go to youtube and type in wicked94z28 to check it out!!!
very cool.
well if i sort everything out i alread have the k&n cai and 3.73 are stock on my car i think

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I dont think 373 come stock man.. I could be wrong tho... If you want to know what it is for sure look in your glove box for a GU and a number mine was GU5 which was a factory option that was 3.23 but not all came with that there was about 4 different options i believe... GU5 is 3.23... GU6 is 3.43.. I believe GU3 is 2.73.. and so on I had a site that told all of them but dont have it anymore.. so if you have a GU number that is different let me know and ill try to help ya some more..(the GU is only for stock vehicles of course)

Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Turbolag86
I took my muffler off last summer just to see what it would sound like. It sounds good at idle, but when you roll into the throttle it sounds really untuned. It just doesn't sound great.

And if you take the muffler off you lose some low end power....I could tell the difference when I took mine off....It seemed to have less pickup

If you want a loud exhaust try the SLP...with just the catback its real loud, and it has a nice sound...But some people don't like the way it sounds...

Its all in what you want, if you want loud then the SLP will make your car sound like a beast.

If your opti is going out you probably aren't making as much power, so you might be in the 15s as well.

Just saying. I think I may have to replace mine soon too.
I agree the SLP catback on my car sounds great. Not too loud at idle but when your drivin it sounds mean.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Mines gu5 so 3.23, hows that an option,what did autos come with normally?
Originally Posted by wicked94z28
I dont think 373 come stock man.. I could be wrong tho... If you want to know what it is for sure look in your glove box for a GU and a number mine was GU5 which was a factory option that was 3.23 but not all came with that there was about 4 different options i believe... GU5 is 3.23... GU6 is 3.43.. I believe GU3 is 2.73.. and so on I had a site that told all of them but dont have it anymore.. so if you have a GU number that is different let me know and ill try to help ya some more..(the GU is only for stock vehicles of course)

Old 12-06-2010, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Question

Well I cleaned my grounds near the coil and added a extra ground wire yesterday. Tried scanning the ecu with a innova can obd1&2 still says cant connect. Tried paper clip trick, tried a 10k ohm resistor, cant pull codes. Service engine soon light works but isnt on, im getting around 10mpg, car runs well, any ideas anyone?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't purchase an optispark until you've got your codes pulled. That being said, SLP seems to be the clear winner. Also if you like the sound at WOT and are looking for a quiet alternative except when you want to have fun, QTP sells an electronic cutout.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
I wouldn't purchase an optispark until you've got your codes pulled. That being said, SLP seems to be the clear winner. Also if you like the sound at WOT and are looking for a quiet alternative except when you want to have fun, QTP sells an electronic cutout.
i actually slapped on a Thrush welded flowmaster style it was $37 sounds mean. but its only 2 1/2 in and out single outlet.
i really need to scan this computer. im kinda confused as to why i cant scan it and the 10mpg. ive spent hours reading useless internet crap and stuff on alldata

Old 12-08-2010, 05:22 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by hoursetraitor
Mines gu5 so 3.23, hows that an option,what did autos come with normally?
many autos had 2.73's

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your intake air temp sensor and engine temp sensor http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ect
the 94 is obd1 but is different from the 93 or 95 you can not flash codes like a 93 but does use a obd1 scanner unfortunatly it has to be compatable.
test your evap system, test fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure. how old are your 02 sensors, have your injectors ever been cleaned and flow tested? check the maf to see if its dirty. check all plugins for bent or damged pins.

Quick Reply: will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?