LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?

kinda thinkn about gutting or removiing the the cat and removing stock muffler and doing what ever other free mods i can to make this thing go a lil faster. i got an idiot with a 90 taurus sho 5 speed who wants to race and i want to humiliate him cus hes a shyt talker, even though he knows his car is a flat 15 car at best he wants to race and i wanna destroy him.
As my car sitts it has 107k on the lt1 and body, the trans has 20k and the low reverse captive check ball has been removed. i have an exhauste leak on my passenger side and maybe a failing opti spark or bad grounds some place and a k&n intake, removed my hypertech pcm. i dont know if these cars are any good from a roll, its kinda a personal thing or normally i wouldnt mess around. help me murder a sho taurus idiot

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 12-02-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Droid

You asked if the car will sound bad if you do away with the cat and muffler. The answer is yes, in the true meaning of the word, especially on a long drive. lol

Old 11-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

...And, what's he gonna do with all that "lost" back pressure too?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I took my muffler off last summer just to see what it would sound like. It sounds good at idle, but when you roll into the throttle it sounds really untuned. It just doesn't sound great.

And if you take the muffler off you lose some low end power....I could tell the difference when I took mine off....It seemed to have less pickup

If you want a loud exhaust try the SLP...with just the catback its real loud, and it has a nice sound...But some people don't like the way it sounds...

Its all in what you want, if you want loud then the SLP will make your car sound like a beast.

If your opti is going out you probably aren't making as much power, so you might be in the 15s as well.

Just saying. I think I may have to replace mine soon too.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I am sure that someone in E-Bay is selling a back pressure enhancer for cases just like this one.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28pete
I am sure that someone in E-Bay is selling a back pressure enhancer for cases just like this one.
Funny you should mention that, someone does make an enhancer: Back Pressure Feedback Tube

Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Droid

Right along with the cross drilled brake lines.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69

you're killing me :-)

Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Overdrive Member

OK... I hope this is a seroius post from the OP. If you want to kill him then the first thing you are gonna need to do is fix the opti and tune the engine properly. Fix the exhaust leak too. I know that you have to go through emissions in Lynnwood so leave the CAT alone or get a performance cat. If you want a good sound then get a tuned muffler like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster 40. You will RUIN and I do mean RUIN your engine if you run open exhaust. You NEED some backpressure for cooling the exhaust valves. This assists the engine in scavenging and also to prevent your valve from burning up. If you remove the CAT and muffler you will start noticing these symptoms:

Loss of power
Pinging
Lower mileage
Failing emission tests before they even plug you in.
Engine running hotter than normal
a headache from all the noise
popping through the intake
and Ford taillights in your front windshield, not Ford headlights in your rear view.

Massey

Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Massey
You will RUIN and I do mean RUIN your engine if you run open exhaust. You NEED some backpressure for cooling the exhaust valves. This assists the engine in scavenging and also to prevent your valve from burning up.
If by "open exhaust" you mean with no exhaust manifolds on the heads, then yes that's right. Running open shorty headers....maybe. Running open long headers....not as likely. Running with a full length system, even straight pipes...absolutely not. Valve damage (warping) can happen when cold air is sucked back into the heads as the throttle is backed off. That ain't gonna happen with an exhaust system installed.

Quick Reply: will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?