LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
Does your car have the OBDII scanner plug or the old school OBDI plug? On some 94 LT1 cars (like Corvette) they moved up to the OBD1.5, and cannot be scanned with an OBDII or I scanner with out an adaptor. I will post an image of it in a little while once I move to my normal computer at my office here. It is just 2 jumper wires so the OBDI scanner can read from the OBDII port.

Massey
obd1 like the old cars, theres only about 5 wires in it. to me that seams odd. i unscrewed it to check that no wires were missing, loose or broken

i have the 12 pin like the one in the link
http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=2
has anyone tried the usb to aldl like in the link?
i want to make my own cable and just hard wire a female usb in.

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 11-30-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

wow i stumbled on all sorts of stuff. i want to run my laptop and scan my car in real time. so if anyone knows how to do that diy style let me know

http://www.tunercat.com/

http://www.tunerpro.net/

http://www.carputing.com/

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 11-30-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1999QuasarBlueRSV6
Looking forward to hearing my exhaust sound better than my stock one. I'll be adding some new pipes after replacement engine and headers. As long as I'm doing the switch I might as well do that too. Look @ my page an shoot me some tips to get me scootin. Need a cam too I guess?
I'm looking for the same old 3.8 to go back in it. I'm doing the headers too, looking @ the options on the sticky note on the forum for V6. I found a 02 V6 out of one that is runing for 450.00 W/90k so I'm tring to jump on it. Is that a good deal, because I've checked around Cincinnati an Northern KY and nothing has been this cheap thus far. This one is about 2 and a half hours away in Southern KY. I don't know if their gonna do a waranty. They have one also I initially called on w/60k out of an 02 also for $600.00 but is promised to a guy this Saturday with the matching trans too (added cost of it) but if he don't show for some reason I got dibs on it.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Overdrive Member

If you have the old connector you may be able to short pins A+B and count the blinks of the CEL. Just short them with a paper clip, turn the ignition to on but engine off. If it works the first code you will get will be 12. This means no tach signal. It also signals when all codes have been read.

Blink... blink.blink.......blink...blink.blink........blink ...blink.blink

This signals 12. Other codes will follow 2 seconds later. The codes go in order from lowest to highest. Once you see 12 again you know there are no more codes in the computer.

94 was the first year of programable memory in the PCM. You do not need to flash your chip or replace it. The links you listed should be able to assist you in making the cable and having the proper software to read and possably remap your settings. Make sure you back up the factory settings first!! VERY IMPORTANT so I will say it again... BACK UP THE FACTORY SETTINGS BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES. If not you could be lost with no reference to return to known good settings.

Massey

Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

it doesnt repond to the paper clip /jumping a+b
i saw something about using a 10k resistor for certain tpi cars.
from looking at diagrams all my wires are where they are supposed to be on the aldl, i just remeber my 84 firebird 305 had more wires and you could lock up the converter by jumping pins "f" and "a"
anyways for whatever reason it wont scan. if it requires a 10k resistor to start data stream it would make sense
If you have the old connector you may be able to short pins A+B and count the blinks of the CEL. Just short them with a paper clip, turn the ignition to on but engine off. If it works the first code you will get will be 12. This means no tach signal. It also signals when all codes have been read.

Blink... blink.blink.......blink...blink.blink........blink ...blink.blink

This signals 12. Other codes will follow 2 seconds later. The codes go in order from lowest to highest. Once you see 12 again you know there are no more codes in the computer.

94 was the first year of programable memory in the PCM. You do not need to flash your chip or replace it. The links you listed should be able to assist you in making the cable and having the proper software to read and possably remap your settings. Make sure you back up the factory settings first!! VERY IMPORTANT so I will say it again... BACK UP THE FACTORY SETTINGS BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES. If not you could be lost with no reference to return to known good settings.

Massey

Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

i cant find a schematic for aldl to usb. only ones ive found is serial to aldl and i dont want to do that way, further more my laptop is new and has no serial crap. and they dont work as well as usb anyways.
far as i can tell the us jumps the a+b and adds a 10k ohm resistor if need be and pin "m" and "e" are tied together feeding data sit cant be complicated unless theres a cuircuit imbedded in either end of the cable

Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

I found the image here it is. This should work with any OBDI scanner.

Massey

Attached Thumbnails will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?-xraycable.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Overdrive Member

er... wait that is for the 95... Grrr Not sure if it will help or not. I have never been able to find ALDL schematics for 94s they are an oddball.

Massey

Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

er... wait that is for the 95... Grrr Not sure if it will help or not. I have never been able to find ALDL schematics for 94s they are an oddball.

Massey
its possible i need to check all my grounds to the computer and stuff.
also i might need a 10k ohm resistor to jumper it. im getting like 9 mpg so i know something is really wrong

Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

so i still need to find some sorta muffler to kinda tone it down a slight bit but not be restrictive

Quick Reply: will my car sound bad with no cat and no muffler?