LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

The whole "overheating" thing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Default The whole "overheating" thing...

Hi, I'm a proud owner of my first z28 It's a 93

I've been going through the forums and noticed a lot of overheating questions, well, I have another one for you....

Like I said this is my first Camaro ever, so I don't have any expirience with them. My car does seem to run REALLY hot, it never overheats, mind you, but the fans only kick on when the temperature gauge is just before the red line, and it never,or almost never, goes down to the middle marker (which I thnk it would be the optimal temperature, no?), it usualy runs on the last marker before the red line, let me see if I can make a litle graph here:

\ red line
\ <---(it usualy runs here)
--
/
/

Questiom is, is that normal? I don't think so, but what do I know?! I've flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat, put in a new fan motor, and I'm about to change the temp send senor to the fans; Radiator itself seems to be fine, no leaks and its keeping pressure (actually almost burned myself trying to open it once). the only thing left I can think of is the water pump, but here is the kicker, when the car is in idle it's when it's the "coldest", sometimes even getting to the middle marker, so I don't think it's a problem with the water pump, could be wrong though

And while I'm at it... What oil would you guys recommend for this car, can't tell you the milage because odometer is broken, but I bet it's on the 100.000 range. I have the Castrol high milage stuff in it right now, I heard sytentics are not good for older motors? I do drive a whole lot, and I mean average 600 miles/week...

Thanks to all

Old 05-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: The whole "overheating" thing...

Fisr of all the gauges are not very accurate, so don't worry too much where the needle sits. The main thing is that the fans cyle off and on when the AC is OFF. The cars are designed to run at a high temp.
Thermostat is set for 185 deg
Primary fan: ON @ 225 deg, OFF @ 217 deg
Secondary fan: ON @ 232 deg, OFF @ 224 deg

As for oil, go ahead and use synthetic if you want. The leaking business was true 30 years ago when cars still used cork gaskets and lousy seals. In those days, a new car would leak oil if it sat in a garage fo a long time.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 AM

Thanks man,

I read those temps at another thread, but nevertheless it freaked me out you know I'm going to put the sensor in anyhow, it can't hurt, right? And it's so easy.

Also, I see what appears to be oil in my engine coolant, not 100% sure it is (rather I don't want to believe it is), bt the last time I changed the oil it was actually very clean, wasn't sludgy or anything, so I don't think there's coolant leaking into the engine...
I figure it might be head gaskets? Which if they are faulty would also make the car run hotter, no? Because of exhaust gases getting into the coolant? It's one of those things, I already bought them, can't hurt to put new ones in.... Just like to know if I'm on the right track here...

Edit2

Keep remembering stuff to ask

I had the transmission rebuilt just a couple of weeks ago, the car wouldn't shift before 3500 RPM's, and indeed there were a number of parts that were worn... At any rate... Now the car shifts fine, but maybe too fine? It feels like a taurus/camary/your regular sedan, shifting, you know? IS that normal? Also, when I step on the gas, to pass somebody or just to have fun , I can hear the motor reving up for about .5 seconds before I can feel the pull, you know what I mean? It's not slipping per se, it's almost like it's just "lazy"? Like a regular sedan. Question is, is it supposed to be like that? Do I have to put an aftermarket kit in to feel that muscle car pull?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Droid

Change out the ECT sensor, ehich tells the computer about coolant temp, and the temp gauge sending unit which operates the temp gauge.

As for the tranny, if it set up per Camaro specs, it should chirp the wheels on a 1st tp 2nd shift, and shift down immediately when floored. The 93s still use the 700R4/4L60 non electronic transmission, whith shift quality controlled by the TV cable. Try resetting the TV cable & see what happens.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 PM

thanks pete! Remind me of buying you a six pack

I'll definitely do the sensor today.

But you give me more credit then I diserve.... TV cable? Where is it, and how does one reset it?

I tried looking at that soapbox page, which is reallty cool BTW, but couldn't find it, I have the haynes maual, but no luck there either....

Old 06-02-2006, 06:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

"TV Cable" aka "kick down cable" or "passing gear cable"

Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 AM

I actually found it, after much searching, on the web

Reset it, and the car is Puuurrrfect!

Thanks Pete! And Wishmaster....

Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 PM

I had the same problem in my 93 z28. I replaced two of the sensors,still didn't fix it. One of the fans would come on when I turned on the ac,but the other one never would.It overheated on my leaving the dragstrip one night,thats how i noticed it at first.Now I have a toggle switch ran where I can control the high flow fan,it works really well.And with the switch,I can cool the car off in the staging lanes at the dragstrip.Everyone knows the Lt1's run better cool