why is it always one thing after another?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default why is it always one thing after another?

well, it started a few weeks ago when i was laid off from work. first, the fuel pump was acting up. replaced that (turned out to just be a loose connection, but a new pump added some response and faster start ups) it was alright for a while, so i decided to order parts that i needed, namely the radiator and a lower temp thermostat. well, rad went in fine, but a tranny line broke and i tried to repair it with rubber hose (my mechanic told me to do that). everything seemed fine, so i took it for a test run. hose blew in the driveway, and i didnt catch it til half a mile later. lost 6 quarts. i had to risk tickets and a loss of my lisence to go get the parts i needed to repair it. i finally got that all fixed, and thought i was in the clear. well, now my voltage regulator went out while i was doing a celebratory donut (graduation, yay), and i had to run with the high beams on, all the fans and interior lights, and radio loud so my battery wouldnt explode (20+ volts, glad my defective gauge was actually working). so another $80 later, i have ordered an alternator and will be in tomarrow. in just a month, ive gone from $1200 to $450 on just parts alone. hopefully i can get some work before i leave for college in a month. and at least my scraping has been going well with all the broken parts my car has given me. the old brass rad should be worth at least $15.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: why is it always one thing after another?

Try looking at it as "one thing before the other" instead of after.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

lol all part of owning a 20+ year old car man, in little over a year i have over 6000 invested in mine and shes not even 1/4 way done.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Microkid, welcome to my world. Do you remember at least half of my posts? Lets see, In less than 1 year Ive had throttle linkageproblems, brake line problems. Carb problems and tranny leak problems. (I might add thay my tranny leak is EPIC around here...) Oh, then there is the first engine that was supposed to be a 'racing motor' that I blew in less than 100 miles. Kid, I feel your pain. Id go into my layoff and getting fired stories but I dont think we have enough bandwidth around here!Sometimes you just gotta walk away and drink a beer and understand that its only a car. Dont let it beat you.Dont let it frustrate you. I cant tell you how many times Ive been tempted to list my Maro on Ebay and be done with it, but my wife always talks me out of it. I know what its like to dump dollar after dollar into a car and not see any results. But SOME day it will all work out. Buck up little camper. We have all been there. Now go drink a beer and look at some 8oobies or something to cheer you up![:-]

Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Isnt gravity a "*****"! or as like to call that scenario the Dominoe therory you push one over, and well there all coming down. Or you replace one part, and now it,s running better, but down the line this other part cant handle the sudden change so it pukes, Your car is only as tough as it,s weakest link. Welcome to Adulthood, were all behind ya[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

check outthat clean little 305! I know it,s the wrong forum, but im too lazy too click over.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4539/4E3579CBEC9C4FD1BCC9B37ABC7B6C24.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel your pain. I had an '89 IROC with a 350 TPI white with red interior pretty little thing I must say. I was going to put a new tranny in it with a shift kit and a B&M shifter in it but a few days before it was set to go in some 17 year old kid with a junior license blew threw a stop sign and I hit him doing about 55mph. Needless to say the front and frame of my car was destroyed. To top it off I was supposed to sell my 87 camaro with a 305 that night but the motor blew the day before. So I had 2 cars that I couldn't drive. Just like ScottD said "don't let her beat you" you will prevail.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well, at least being a graduate now i will get some money from people to repay it. hopefully i can get some hours soon, im down to $450 to my name.

oh, and the beer enjoyment will be tomarrow during my graduation party. and then my party is next week, no parents, woo hoo!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:11 PM

same **** happened to me on my 1989 rs tbi 305. i got laid off about a month ago and the day i got laid off my u joints went.
on the express way no less. when i got it home ( after some poor excuse rigging) a week later my water pump altinator and stater all went out within two days. after i got all that fixed i wipe my hands clean and go do a donut and chipped a gear in my rear end. so now my car sits in the driveway cuz i got no more money so ya it blows

but good luck with the car and college