LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Yeah, get an LS1 design intake, it will stay high and dry... my only concern would be where you get air from if you have a stock hood.

As for fenderwell intakes, i installed a BBK CAI on my mustang in about 10-15 mins not including the uninstallation of the stock rubber pos. After i paid 200 bucks for a name brand intake i found out that just taking the MAF housingoff and getting rid of the stupid rubber snorkel and buying a K&N filter would have saved me tons of money. Its all about finding ways to get rid of flow restriction.
[&:]where do u think it comes from if its inside the engine bay?

most of the air comes from below the car and is forced upwards anyways. I have a standard hood with the ls1 intake and my car breaths fine [8D]

Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ok seriously guys. i have no idea what im going to do theres so many options, and that full 3 pc. system with the k&n off ebay for 100$ is enticing. everything else you can't hardly touch for under 200-250.. .argh.. wouldn't the eBay one do the same ****? seems to go low in the engine bay, has intake elbow and tube after that to maf. idk.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Overdrive Member

Almost all aftermarket CAI's for the LT1 don't sit in the actual fender or anything, they sit behind the headlight in the front clip under a splash guard. There's a triagular hole that the stock airbox drops into(although it doesn't take any air from there because the guy that designs intakes for GM is a moron and makes the maze of tubing that's stock on most GM cars), and that's where most aftermarket kits sit. The issues with the cheaper ones that you get off of ebay is they wont' flow quite as well, if the inside is smooth you really need to look at the cross-sectional area to determine how much it will flow. Both the K&N as well as the Moroso have the diameter of the tube as well as drop down and fill up more space, so the inside is slightly larger. This isn't to say that it'll necessarily help you that much, but it will flow better.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

alright, so ebay aside, what is the best choice of intake.... k&n, slp, moroso ?? like which one?thanks man

Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
4th Gear Member

id say SLP being the BEST bet. maybe K&N being a nice step down.. but im not sure.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

I would go for the K&N or Moroso, the SLP looks cool with it's 2 tubes, but continue to think about cross-sectional area, it's going to have less than the one big piece design that K&N and Moroso use, not to mention that you'll pay more for the SLP system because of the name. I would go with either the K&N or Moroso, between those it really just depends on the price.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ya i was thinking about those 2 tubes, they still wouldn't offer as much volume as 1 big tube (especially k&n's) so ya.. thanks guys !!

on a side note... I thought slp was specifically engineered to be the best for our cars? ( or is that all BS)

Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Ninja Administrator

the 2 tubes seems gimick-y. Id go with a standard proven design like K&N or anything similar. really, the intake doesnt matter that much, just as long as its better than stock and ur set up for future mods

Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Pro_built7

ya i was thinking about those 2 tubes, they still wouldn't offer as much volume as 1 big tube (especially k&n's) so ya.. thanks guys !!

on a side note... I thought slp was specifically engineered to be the best for our cars? ( or is that all BS)
SLP would like you to think that they are the "end-all be-all" for our cars, but from what I've seen they're overpriced for what you get. Don't get me wrong, they make a quality product, but I believe that they charge to much for said product. In reality you can get as good of a part for cheaper from an aftermarket company.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

ya i've pretty much decided on going with the summit by K&N filter, my last question is, Is there any performance difference between the real K&N and the "summit by K&N"

besides almost 50$ ??

Quick Reply: what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)