LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...QQcmdZViewItem

?? thinkin on buying this or the slp intake which would cost like 150$ more than this one

(j/w what they thought pete)

Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)

junk

Old 11-27-2007, 02:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Honestly, id take the Ebay one. They do the same thing, only one has a fancier and well known label. Only problem with Ebay is that its not a legit place to buy parts imo.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear member

They do the same thing, only one has a fancier and well known label. Only problem with Ebay is that its not a legit place to buy parts imo.
Not true- they are a different design- if you are going to buy some e-pay crap then you may as well just go to the hardware store and make yourself one- it will be about the same thing.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Ninja Administrator

id like to see this compared to another well known intake. The piping looks about like any other intake ive seen, and they cant really get away from the 3pc design because of the location of the MAF and the filter position. as long as the pipes are smooth I dont see too much of a problem.

people ***** about alot of things with intakes, if the bend isnt just right the air swirls funny.... and whatever...... but then they dont mind buying headers taht are tied in a square knot. the real issue is diameter. if the thing is smooth inside and has a larger diameter it will perform just as well as any other intake. The fenderwell CAI's are a ***** to mount sometimes though (never done an lt1, but just as a rule of thumb). U may be better off finding one that has a short ram and a heat shield that stays in the stock filter location.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not really worried about mounting it tho, I've done an lt1 before and a 3.4, but I was thinking this one might be comparable to an after market one, b/c it seems like it goes down past that black plastic shield, ( you know like the slp intake does) where the cold air is, my biggest concern is i don';t want something thats just going to suck in hot air and leave me worse off than stock. oh and btw, I bought a similar intake from this guy before and yes, it's completely glass smooth. let me know what you think man, ( I really hate spending 250-300$ on an aftermarket intake when this seems to be just as good.) thanks ~

Old 11-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Ninja Administrator

the issue with mounting is putting that damned filter down in the fender. you usually need to have someone hold it up in place while u position the tubes in the engine bay and strap it all together. Another issue, if the intake hangs too low you can get a vacuum effect at the filter which will cut power. I usuallly try to stay away from fenderwell intakes now. When youre moving the intake charge isnt all that hot anyway. ur best bet would be one that has the filter still in the engien bay, but a blockoff plate that has rubber strips and blocks hot air from the rest of the bay. you can also get one that hangs over the front of the radiator like the ls1 and vettes have.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I had no idea I could get the intake like the LS1 I was just thinking how good that would be to have it picking up the cold draft coming over the radiator, I know that's pretty popular in the ls1 world. do you know where i can get that man ?

p.s. you know that black plastic splash guard under the stock air box, well slp's intake gives you a new one with 2 holes in it and it picks up air outside the engine bay b/c of it i wonder if that ebay intake does that. hmmm...

Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

i really think an ls1 intake would be best. no doubt.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah, get an LS1 design intake, it will stay high and dry... my only concern would be where you get air from if you have a stock hood.

As for fenderwell intakes, i installed a BBK CAI on my mustang in about 10-15 mins not including the uninstallation of the stock rubber pos. After i paid 200 bucks for a name brand intake i found out that just taking the MAF housingoff and getting rid of the stupid rubber snorkel and buying a K&N filter would have saved me tons of money. Its all about finding ways to get rid of flow restriction.

Quick Reply: what do you think of this air intake off ebay?? (link)