LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

What all needs to be Hooked Up to get my Hypertech off??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When I had my 96, I had the Power Programmer II and I'm fairly certain there was the 94 & 95 model back then too. I got mine off ebay for about $150 so it wasn't a bad deal. Personally I wouldn't pay $400 for a new one when you can find them used. Most of the time they get played with a couple of times, then sit on a shelf. A used one is still barely used at all. I used mine mostly to crisp up the tranny shifts. You can also alter the shift points, recalibrate the speedo, cooling fan turn on point, etc. Considering what it does, the name "Power Programmer" is misleading. Those who don't like it probably thought they were paying for a "power adder" for engine performance. It all depends on your intended use. To me, if you can find a cheap used one, it's worth getting because you can change things back and forth yourself instead of paying someone to "tune" your computer. If you're only after wanting to tune the computer for optimum engine performance, then the Power Programmer isn't for you.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sounds like you may have one of those power tuning modules that plugs in-line to the computer?
The hand held "Power Programmer" is something different and unrelated to the module.
everyone tells me to take it out. so far all ive found is some info n how to install it and i geuss it comes with its own t stat.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well still no luck with getting it programmed out... But to hoursetraitor they've actually been out for a while now... I bought mine to take off the govenor, set shift firmness, and to recalibrate my speedo... So its kinda like what camaro 69 said.. But back in the day when they first came out you could buy Cartridges to load into the bottom that allowed you to tweek with more stuff... I have a buddy with a 95 with the same tuner that has about 5 or 6 carts. with his.. Of course hypertech stoped making them so there hard to find and when you do find them you have to pay almost double of their original amount!! theres some to adjust timing, set different driving modes such as Gas Saver, Performance, and So on.. But if your interested in trying one out Ill sell you mine for pretty cheap if I can ever figure out how to un program it! also I was running 13.68 pretty consistant without it.... after eliminating the govenor, adjusting shift firmness, and tweeking with shift point I got a 13.44 best and 13.47 consistant, So it actually was worth it to pass up the LS1 guys!!

Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

every sensor probably has to be connected to the ecu. without the motor hooked up to the ecu you have alot of missing inputs: no maf, no map, ect,ait, tps, egr, just to name a few so it knows somethings wrong, and it might be too much.