LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Time for an oil change !

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got back from O'Reillys...I bought Mobile 1 Synthetic....10,000 miles between oil changes...I think I'll just go 8k instead...

I bought a new drain plug too

Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woa u got the good stuff. have fun. i dont think duck meant to buy a new plug but to not forget to put it back. ive done that a couple times myself. lol.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hope u got a good filter to go with the oil.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah, you didn't really have to buy a new drain plug.. i meant replace as put back on.. sometimes though, there is a copper ring gasket thats on the drain plugs.. i replace those when they have been smuched too many times from past oil changes...

SO your good to go if you bought a filter..... however, if your car has higher miles, and its never had synthetic before.. i';d reconsider using synthetic.. its a much much thinner oil and will find any weark spot in your motor.. for example, weak rings.. if you put the synthetic in and start seeing blue smoke, i'd switch to reg. They say if you want to use synthetic, its best to start under 100km's (not sure what that is in miles) or when brand new...

Last edited by midrange; 03-14-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the story on everything....I get all my stuff this morning, get back home....and I take our jack out to put my car up....only to discover...the jack is broken !!!!

So instead of doing the car...i did the diesel ! ...pretty tricky to get that oil filter off ! Got it on though ! ....

So the camaro needs an oil change still....I think I'm gonna take the M1 back and just take it to the shop and let them deal with it...It's about the same price to get the oil changed than me do it myself and they service it over. So why bother I guess.

Haha, I guess I wasted this thread....but I got some good tips out of it.

Thanks everyone for your input ! I really appreciate it !

I'm not sure if I'm gonna do the oil on the car or not, I'll sleep on it I guess

Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep the cost will be about the same but i doubt very much they will be giving u m1. it is one of the best oils on the market and is priced that way. thats y i was asking about the filter. dont want to put a cheapy filter with that kind of oil.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So you pay x amount to have it done and they use regular dino oil. Or you do it yourself, with Mobil 1 and it ends up costing you close to the same. The only difference is if you diy, you'll have much better oil in the engine, and you won't have to change it as often. I Use Mobil 1 in everything and swear by it. I usually go between 5-6 k miles between changes.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

OK change of plans ! Sorry I keep jumping all over the place...... I went back to O'Reillys and I switched the M1 for GTX...I bought the filter this morning which is a Wixx....I really like those filters I use them in the dodge too.

So tomorrow I'm gonna try to change the oil out in the car. I would rather do it myself anyway ! I think there is more pride in doing things youself. I'll just use some ramps instead of a jack.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Just changed the oil in the car. I drained all the oil out...and replaced the old filter. I added exactly 5 qtz of Castrol GTX. I think the oil pressure is a little higher than it was before I did the oil change...I'm not too sure...Maybe I'm paranoid..

wat does everyone's oil pressure read at ? Mine is close to the third mark....after the middle

Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Turbolag86
Just changed the oil in the car. I drained all the oil out...and replaced the old filter. I added exactly 5 qtz of Castrol GTX. I think the oil pressure is a little higher than it was before I did the oil change...I'm not too sure...Maybe I'm paranoid..

wat does everyone's oil pressure read at ? Mine is close to the third mark....after the middle
Oil pressure will vary depending on how many miles are on the engine, temp of engine, wieght of oil, filter used, etc. The pressure will become lower with engine wear.

Quick Reply: Time for an oil change !