LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Time for an oil change !

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Time for an oil change !

Ok it's time to change the oil in the camaro, and I want to do it myself this time to save some green. I have been searching the forums and google for info on oil changes but I can't find any info...My car didn't come with an owners manual... So here are my questions

1. What type of oil does it take ? 10W 30 ?

2. How many quartz does it hold ?

Thanks everyone

Old 03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

10/30will be fine. in colder weather i use 5/30.

Oil change is one of the easiest do it your self projects going..

I don't know the exact amount you need as i have yet to do an oil change on the camaro, but i usually buy 5 litres, then keep an eye on the dip stick till i'm happy with the level. never hurst to have too much.

do you need help on how to do the oil change.. or just those 2 questions?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what yr and size motor? what oil was in it? how many miles on the car? what modifications have been done to it? what is the oil pressure reading at operating temp?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The car is a 1996 Z28 6 speed. No mods to the motor, just K&N filter and SLP Loudmouth exhaust....135k on the clock

I was just expecting to open the drain plug, drain the oil out and replace the filter....hopefully it goes that easy...

I don't remember the pressure reading on oil gauge.

Is there anything else I need to know about this task ?

Thanks !

Old 03-13-2010, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

The sticker from the shop is HAV 5W30 ..... I was just going to run that

I would really like to run synthetic..... what is everyone's opinion on what type of oil ?

Is it bad on the engine to change the oil you are running if you have been running it for a while ?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

factory calls for 5w30. if u notice the oil pressure getting low u can switch to 10w30 without harming anything. synthetic oil is fine and better for the motor, just make sure u get a good filter. there are a few filters out there that dont like it. black top fram is one, i think its the high milage one but keep forgetting.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Turbolag86
The sticker from the shop is HAV 5W30 ..... I was just going to run that

I would really like to run synthetic..... what is everyone's opinion on what type of oil ?

Is it bad on the engine to change the oil you are running if you have been running it for a while ?

uh oh

here comes the oil wars again

5 w 30 and 5 quarts will suffice.

Here's a little factoid for you

check your dipstick before changing the oil; you will see that it's full

drain the oil and as you pour it into gallon milk jugs, you'll find that you only drained about a gallon or a wee bit more but are adding 5 quarts. In other words, you put in more than you took out; interesting isn't it?

I am not getting into the synth vs traditional oil can of worms

me- I buy what's on sale at advance auto be it penzoil, quaker state or castrol

Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

So since I'm putting more in than I'm taking out....will I hurt the car if I let the oil all drain out and then add 5 quartz ?

I'm gonna start the car cold....move it 20 feet ...turn it off.....then put it on jack stands....and I guess let it set for about 20 mins or so

Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Turbolag86
So since I'm putting more in than I'm taking out....will I hurt the car if I let the oil all drain out and then add 5 quartz ?

I'm gonna start the car cold....move it 20 feet ...turn it off.....then put it on jack stands....and I guess let it set for about 20 mins or so
is this your first time ever doing an oil change?

If so, get your dad, uncle or whomever over to supervise you. It's a piece of cake.

It's best to do it with the oil a wee bit warm. Or, be like me and do it with red hot cars and always be sure to get some of that nice hot oil all over your hands. (hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger)

anyway, yes, add the 5 quarts. With respect to the filter, be sure to put a thin bead of oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter prior to installing it.

It's nice to read about kids who want to learn to maintain their cars themselves. it's not the oil change, it's the ability to do a once over of your car. Long gone are the days when you took a car in for an oil change and they informed you of other things.

not to get too long but real example

I bought a Sentra for one of my daughters ( you boys keep away from my girls) It had 67k miles and I did my usual make ready work before allowing her to drive it. While doing the most recent oil change on it I noticed the brake fluid was down a little bit. Most would just add fluid but I knew the fluid had to have gone somewhere. I jacked up the rear, took off the tires and drums and as I suspected, there was a leaky wheel cylinder. A couple new wheel cylinders, $30 later and I had peace of mind again.

That is why you do your own oil changes, to catch things before they become problems.

cheers

Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea I hear ya man....I MUCH prefer to do things myself....Yea this is my first oil change...but I've done a lot worse....two engine swaps and a clutch change on my friends cars with them.....I'm looking forward to doing it...I like doing my own work, it makes me feel better about owning my vehicles.... and plus I really enjoy working on cars

Your daughters are safe from me..... unless they like red Camaro Z28's .......

haha....jk man !

I really appreciate your input....seriously....thanks....it gives me piece of mind to have information from others

Quick Reply: Time for an oil change !