LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Time for an oil change !

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Originally Posted by midrange
. never hurst to have too much.
Sorry mid but I dissagree. Too much oil will blow some seals and wreak all kinds of havoc. I guess you could use the dipstick method, but a google search of the capacities would help too.
Op, the oil change is as easy as you think.. dont forget to have plenty of towels and something wide to catch the old oil... I also keep a few empty milk jugs for the old stuff. Auto zone will take the osed oil and filter.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info....yea we have a big pan my dad used to use for his truck....

hey I've been meaning to ask....

what does OP mean ?

haha, I've seen it before on forums but I never figured out what it means

Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Origional Poster, in this case - you.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

actually with a stock oil pan in a lt1 i have taken 5.5 quarts of oil to fill. i dont know how cpl is taking less oil out than put back but i have not had that issue and am not real sure what hes talking about.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
actually with a stock oil pan in a lt1 i have taken 5.5 quarts of oil to fill. i dont know how cpl is taking less oil out than put back but i have not had that issue and am not real sure what hes talking about.

ummm, getting up a bit early to set pots and haven't wiped the sleep from your eyes???

It was me.

For oh these many years, with all of my cars, I drain the oil, empty the filter into the pan, and then add 5 quarts. I then pour the oil either back into the quart bottles or 1 gallon milk jug so I can take it to recycling. i have never ever, yup that's never been able to fill up 5 quart bottles with the used oil. I barely fill 4 quarts with just a little bit (maybe a couple ounces at most) going into the 5th quart. And that was starting with an oil dipstick that showed "full"

Now, that has been small and big block Fords, small block mopars, celica's, supras, sentra's, Isuzu's, Accords, minivans, Jeeps, pickups, mustangs, Mazdas ,camaro and even Mercruiser.

so, you do end up adding more than you remove.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah not quite awake. lol. sorry bout that. im sure u are getting 5 qts out if u are adding 5 qts to get it to full, just cant get it all out of the filter and that must be were its your losing most of it. then theres the spillage and coating your hands and other containers that may be used. it all adds up. when i change the oil in the boat its a little more noticeable i get 4 gal out and put almost 5 back in. lol filter holds a gal but i drain it into a small bucket and transfer to the same container i use for the crankcase oil.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thats not what i meant cpl. I didn't mean too much in the engine block. i meant too much when doing the project.. it would suck to add all your oil to find out its still not full. i means its never hurts to over rate how much you need instead of falling short and having to WALK to the store to get more cause there is not enough oil in your motor to start it with out risking it.

Oil change.. Jack, drain, remove filter.. fill new filter up with oil, make sure new oil filter rubber seal is wet with fresh oil, put new filter on, replace drain plug, fill with oil.. done. takes 10-15 minutes..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome....I'm going to get the oil at Wal Mart in a few minutes here....once I wake up.....It's the first day of day light savings and I slept until 10:00A.M. which it is really 9:00A.M. Haha

Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna get Havoline 5 W 30 ....which according to O reilly's is a synthetic....

What's the difference between synthetic, petroleum and blended ?

I don't wanna hurt the motor

Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by midrange
thats not what i meant cpl. I didn't mean too much in the engine block. i meant too much when doing the project.. it would suck to add all your oil to find out its still not full. i means its never hurts to over rate how much you need instead of falling short and having to WALK to the store to get more cause there is not enough oil in your motor to start it with out risking it.

Oil change.. Jack, drain, remove filter.. fill new filter up with oil, make sure new oil filter rubber seal is wet with fresh oil, put new filter on, replace drain plug, fill with oil.. done. takes 10-15 minutes..
Yes! Don't forget to replace the drain plug or you will put 5 quarts in and get nothing out! LOL. Been working on cars for years and get a phone call during middle of oil change. Crawled out from under car with oil draining in pan. Talk a little while and figure I can finish the oil change and listen to person on phone at same time. Yep, you guessed. I poured 5 quarts in the engine and right out into the drain pan!

Quick Reply: Time for an oil change !