LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Tear Drop My car wont go foward

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Default Tear Drop My car wont go foward

Hello, So I'm trying to determand what the best corce of action to take with my z28. I Bought this car used abourt 3 months ago. Im pretty car savy however not a pro or expert by anymeans. I changed the fluids when i got the car. When i drop the tranny pan the magent had normal ware on it and fluid did not smell burnt. After replacing the tranny fliter and new gasket no leaks and car drove fine.... This was 3 months ago. 1 week ago the tranny mount was completely cracked. Causing alot of unwanted movement under high rpms. I drove it slowly home Removed crossmeber and mount and got a new "high proformance" one from autozone. After installing it i did not have any issues but a slight tranny vibrations. The application was pretty strait foward beeing that you cant really mess up due to bolt alighment.

That was just a Preface for backround information. heres the problem

Was driving home last night. Car was driving fine all day with no wierd shifting problems. When coming in to my nieghborhood i take it slow due to little dip (cuz my rear shocks suck). After my rear tires hit the dip i heard a thump and lost the ablity to go foward. I thought maybe it was a linkage problem however i could still put it in park, reverse, and Netrule. Im unsure if trannys go out like that, I figured i would have some kinda sign proior to it just going bad?. I also thought what if its the Rear end not engaging? I was told by a freind that if i can go in reverse its deffantly NOT the rear end. Is this true?

I have not had a chance to get under and look around. Could a wire been disconnected or loosen/weaken when the broken mount was not supporting it and just now get disconnected? Could a wire cause this type of problem. (Car electronics confuse me since I have never worked on an Electronic Automatic before)

What steps should i take? Im not afraid of droping the b!tch and getting her rebiult but just dont want to waist time to get my car movin again. Thanks for any help.

BTW 1995 Automatic Z28 4l60e

Old 11-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Tear Drop My car wont go foward

Oh. Also some other information that might help. The car has 120K miles on it and the old owners (who spoke very little english) clamed when they bought it a year ago that the tranny was rebiult. However they did not have any paper work supporting it. The tranny was painted at one point green? is that normal? maybe it was a tranny swap from a while ago. is there a way i can check to see if its the org tranny that came with the car?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Tear Drop My car wont go foward

The transmissions wre not painted, except for the pan, which was black. If the car can move in reverse, the rear end should be good. Before taking things apart, check that the large wire connectors on the side of the tranny is still in place. The problem could be electrical (cheap to fix) or mechanical (expensive). A scan tool capable of reading transmission codes would help to pin down the cause.