One step foward two steps back

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Default One step foward two steps back

I recently took my car to a mechanic to get my 412 engine installed in my 89 IROC.Anyway I come back to see how things are going and I'm informed that there's a problem.The guy takes me over to the car and what do I see,but my rocker panels cracked.Not one but both!He then tells me that's not all and let's the car down and show's me a broken windshield.Needless to say I'm steaming at this point.I happened to take my wife with me when I went to the shop by the way,and she see's me pasing back and forth from a distance.She comes over and says"hey what the matter".So I tell her what happened.And I tell her I going to use this guy @#$hole for a hoola-hoop.And she says real calmly"a lawyer's going to cost you more than the repairs".Good thing she was with me,cause man I dont be thinking when it come to my baby(IROC).Thank God for cool wives!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear member

What happened, how did he break the window and rockers?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would have the car checked out for straightness at a body/frame shop, with the understanding that this guy is to be held liable for anything found wrong.
It sounds like they may have lifted the car wrong, or dropped it, twisted the body, which then made the windshield crack.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-15-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM

I cant really say what happened.But I was told that some feel from over-head and cracked the windshield.It looked like something round hit it.You guys know the look.And as far as the rocker panels.I took them around to the body shop around the corner to have them fixed.Im of the opinion that if someone F's up your car the first time why give them another chance.And if I try to go thru the guys insurance and thing dont go right ie: he doesnt have any,then I know Im going to pop the weasel,so to speak.
So now Im thinking when I get the car fixed,and me and the old lady are cruisin NEXT SUMMER!!!! Ill be happy that I listened to her and not in jail.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 PM

This is why I refuse to let anyone but me, family and close friends who know what their doin with cars work on mine, I'm lucky to have my own shop haha. I'm really sorry to hear that man, my girlfriend wouldn't have had the time to calm me down before I killed that guy :P

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Default response

I hear you.Sounds like your a mechanic and have mechanic friends.Thats great.Im not that fortunate.I hate to say it but ,its seems like since I moved to N.Jersey from Philly I cant find a good mechanic.Just running into BS artist or somebody trying to rip me off.Anyway got my rocker panels repaired and now Im looking for someone to install them and do the body work and paint.And I Wont have my wife with me next time.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

If your install has not been completed by now, then it sounds like you may have went to the wrong guy.

Also, providing the guy has insurance, you can take your car to anyone you choose. Its against the law for an insurance agent to tell you where to go.

But, this doesn't mean you can take it to a 50K resto shop....insurance and body shops are tight, and each knows what each other is up to.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty
I hear you.Sounds like your a mechanic and have mechanic friends.Thats great.Im not that fortunate.I hate to say it but ,its seems like since I moved to N.Jersey from Philly I cant find a good mechanic.Just running into BS artist or somebody trying to rip me off.Anyway got my rocker panels repaired and now Im looking for someone to install them and do the body work and paint.And I Wont have my wife with me next time.
I don't know where in NJ you are, but I don't live too far from Jersey myself. My dad is an honest guy, and he helps me out with mine and has a few camaros of his own, he would take good care of you man. Orsini's Auto Service Inc Ambler, PA, 19002 - YP.com

Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

ick...thats why i say IF YOU CANT BUILD IT DONT DO IT.

how can anyone trust their car let alone their life in any old mechanics hands.

ive met my fair shair of shady mechanics who will f$#@ something up and never say a word only to have the owner tow the vehicle back for repairs.

who knows what structural damage he caused. rockers dont just crack... its from improper hoisting possibly twisted the unibody lifting from uneven points.

i trust restoration shops for some of my work but thats because they are meticulously safe as they are used to working on cars that parts aren't readily available for.. so extra caution is a must