Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

98 Monsoon Tear-Apart

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 98 Monsoon Tear-Apart

I have a '98 Maro with the wacky Monsoon Setup
I took that out a while ago and had put in a pioneer HU
Replaced The Front Speaker with Pioneer ones, but only the lower of the 2 inputs from the Monsoon amp
Took the 4" speakers in the hatch area out and cut room for some 5x7's
The middle sail speakers are disconnected to be upgraded in near future
I have an amp with a 10" sub in some magical bandpass box

But I'd like to completely remove the Monsoon setup and re-wire the entire sound system in the car
The reason i want to re-wire it all is that the stock wires have a short somewhere and they pop sometimes
and i'd like to run a thicker guage wire
I Don't like the way the Monsoon system splits the power and uses the weird Ohms deal.
Any Tips/Comments would be very appreciated

and I do plan to amp the speakers when i do this install
Thank In advance, Blasko

Old 12-11-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 98 Monsoon Tear-Apart

alright man i did the same thing, exept for with bose shtuff. alright heres what u do, go down to best buy, get 50 ft or so of rockford fosgate spkr wire, its the ****. then u can either pull the amplifier or not, im not positive how the monsoon system works. in my bose system each speaker had an amp on the back of it. either way, ull need to bipass the amp or pull it out. bipassing is much easier, and when i say bipass i mean just dont plug it in to anything. The only flaw i see in your system is, this isnt 1985, you dont need 6 speakers, bigger isnt always better. I run four speakers unamplified with a set of 12's, and i when i roll by babies literally start crying and ****.

check out my profile pics if u want to see how my system turned out.[:-]

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of speakers are you running?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

+1 to Skippysnax, I have a convert, so I don't even have the two in the back, but you can do so much with the right speakers and headunit. I have four RF 6.5 3 way with bass blockers in the stock locations. And then four Kenwood 1" tweeters and it gets loud, but stays clear. Add in two 12's and you got a total system.

Best advice I would give is to plan this out and get everything you need to do this right the first time. If you take the trim off and pull up the carpet by the doors, you can run wires there, there's a wire loom that runs along there that you can zip tie your wires to or even tap into and run your wires inside it. Taking the seatbelt anchors out will give you more room to do this. And if you are planning to run amps, I would suggest to get the wires you need for that and run it the same time, even if you don't have the amps. When you get them, it'll be a snap to hook them up. You can run your RCA's/power/ground/remote wire now while you're doing the other stuff.