LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

synthetic oil & spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up synthetic oil & spark plugs

hey, anybody tried a few different synthetic oils? when i got my wifes lt1 it hadn't had an oil fchange in forever so i put some q-horespower in it, much smoother. or should i switch to the elusive amsoil? i'm not sure, oooh if your remote goes out pop it open and if there is any light grease in there thats why. my remote wasnt working, i cleaned the chip off and voila. wierd... anyway, synthetics! whats your take? also, i have heard the lt1 spark plugs are difficult to change, any tips there, how exactly does one go about changing them anyway? never done it before, don't you need to buy wires to? not sure, but thanks.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Go for it

Hello, I'm a big fan of Amsoil and their products. They do perform as promised but you do pay ALL the money for them. The good thing about the engine oil is that it is really is a once a year oil change. For $25 a year you can join Amsoil as a preferred customer and buy their stuff at dealer cost plus shipping to your home- worth looking into. The LT1 plugs are a good time, some from the top and some from the bottom. The wires will be alot more time to change because of their routing but if they are old, high miles, etc it would be worth your money to go for it. Use a wire set for your application because they need to fit properly in the small amount of space provided and not hit your exhaust. Good luck

Old 08-16-2009, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I like to use royal purple full synt motor oil. This stuff is great, its a little high on the price, about 7 bucks a qt, but well worth it in my book. Have with the plugs, lol. If you are going to change them its a great idea to do the wires at the same time. You might wanna go with plugs and wires that are name brand cause you don't wanna do this again unless you have to. So cheap is not better.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM

spark plugs are very hard to change. I have a car lift and it takes about 3 hours. one of the plugs you have to take the alternate off to change it. if you dont have a clue how to change them if you have the money it is best to let someone that know how to do it. i have ngk plugs in my lt1. they are about 9 dollars a plug. i would go with msd wires so you dont have to keep change wires. they are about 100 dollars. i wish you the beest on changing them if you do it.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear member

First time I did my wires I thought it was a pain, but nowhere near as bad as the stupid triton engines from ford. If you don't take a lot of beer breaks you can do it in about 2-3 hours for your first time. I would also change the wires. I bought Prestolite wires because they come with a lifetime warranty. And you don't have to take the alternator out to get to change the plug at cylinder 2. Atleast I didn't have any trouble doing it. I have ran Royal Purple and I am also and Amsoil Dealer. Being a dealer I would say Amsoil because of how you can go 15,000 miles without having to change the oil, but Royal Purple also makes a great oil, plus you get all the fun of everytime you check your dipstick seeing purple oil haha.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I just recently changed the oil in my LT1 using Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic motor oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter. I have had absolutely no issues and the old gal (124,000+ miles) seems to be running great and seems to have a little more kick to her.

I also just had the spark plugs changed to platinum AC Delco plugs. Because I didn't have any sort of lift, I had a very difficult time doing it myself so I ended up having to have a friend of mine do them. But it was definitely worth it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I use the sugested plugs, magnecor plug wires and full synthetic... unless its an older mill then I will go with regular oil..... main seals are a pain.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

If you plan on putting a set of headers on the car I think its a little easier to change the plugs with headers. make sure if you pay someone to change the plugs that you watch them make sure they change the #8 plug the one in the back on the passenger side.