LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

stop the water

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Which is why I asked if his sole purpose was to divert coolant away, but didn't hear back.
To me, it would not be worth it to remove a water pump, install the tube, then reinstall the used pump. Generally when you're removing the pump, it's either to replace it because it's bad, or because you need to replace the opti. Either way, you're best to just put on a new pump. So what you're doing here is to monitor a new pump that should last upward of 100k miles (unless you buy a cheap China piece of crap)? The original pump on my LT1 went way past 100k miles. I only replaced it because it was part of the opti swap. As I said before, any sign of coolant from the weep hole, and you should replace the pump. A little dribble isn't going to hurt the opti, and if you let that dribble turn into a big waterfall, then you shouldn't be working on cars!

first off you answered your own question, thus I did not think that needed to reanswer it

exactly, I would do this when I repair a privious failure, to elieviate the future losses.

why would you want belittle a fellow humanbeing, obviously I am not refering to someone that is Fortunate enough to get a dribble before a catastrophic failure. I for one have to drive my toy as a DD and these things always happen at highway speeds for me.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by macertheracer
why would you want belittle a fellow humanbeing, obviously I am not refering to someone that is Fortunate enough to get a dribble before a catastrophic failure. I for one have to drive my toy as a DD and these things always happen at highway speeds for me.
I wasn't belittling you, it was a generality. Per my example quote below, kindly replace the words "you" with "one", and maybe you'll more understand my intent.
If you're not the type to sit back and watch small problems turn into bigger ones, then that comment wasn't aimed at you.
A little dribble isn't going to hurt the opti, and if one lets that dribble turn into a big waterfall, then one shouldn't be working on cars!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I wasn't belittling you, it was a generality. Per my example quote below, kindly replace the words "you" with "one", and maybe you'll more understand my intent.
If you're not the type to sit back and watch small problems turn into bigger ones, then that comment wasn't aimed at you.

ok it is all cool, i know that most of the people in my circle spend alot of time on the highway, personally I drive 98 miles a day, close to 40k a year with my extra running. I don't have a lot of opertunities to look the rig over. other than fill ups and oil changes every 6 weeks. however I do watch for puddles under my rig in the parking lots.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hum! interisting rebuttal, although kind of moot to me, as I too am a professional, only within the Aerospace manufacturing world. Cleanliness is an absolute must in most applications. But due in a large part to Bad Engineering, some times there has to be a logical decision made, and for me it almost always comes down to a money decision. I "Obviously" do not have your funding, nor do you have my time. therefor to save a $350 part plus the $140 water pump, and the associated labor cost, I chose to risk a $140 water pump that I can change in a couple of hours. I believe that there a lot of people trying to keep their toys running in this time of harsh economics mthat could benifit from this. thank you for your opinion, I will keep on my present corse.
Anyone with any engineering back gound should know that a single grain of sand can cause a bearings life to be 1/10 what it should be. Dumping chips in a closed area that contains a bearing is just a bad idea, If you really think this is needed then you need to dissassemble the pump. Then do the machining process. Better yet just use epoxy on the fitting.

I am trying to help people also. The cheapest thing to do is to maintain your car. The chances of a internal seal failing all at once are extreamy low. They can give up to a years worth of staining before they leak bad, assuming you maintain your coolant so its not a acid. If 100 people did this hose process I would bet 20 of those would have bearing noise in their pumps before years end. Keep your coolant clean (change it 24 months) check your pump when you change your oil (4 times a year).

Things that cause pump seals to fail all at once:

Anything that causes the car to over heat.(bad stat, failed fans)
Anything that cause extream pressure (blown head gasket, bad cap)
Any leak that cause the system to NOT hold pressure
Any contamination of the coolant.

If any of these things happen then a coolant pressure test needs done and just check the weep hole after.

If you really want to be carful pressure test your system once a year. You do that, not only will your pump not cause an unexpected issue but there is a good chance you will not blow a head gasket and you will not over heat your motor.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

wow I had no Idea that this would happen, to all who read this I am truely sorry for my obviously assumed ignorance on the matter of proper automotive practices. I'll just go crall back into my hideout and never return. I do hate it when the exaust port of a mule shows up.

note to the moderator please deleate my acount on this forum, racer

Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 AM
4th Gear Member

wow! Did any body else see where I asked this ---------------- gentilman to invest his money in my project or some Git Rich Scheem??????????? as for what problem am I trying to solve? If you have to ask, then you will not understand the answer. therefore if you had as much going on as you wish to portray here, you would know that you answered your own question.
interesting and why are you getting testy?

Allow me to expand. Before I allow any of my company's money to be spent on developing a new product I need to see market research data. In other words, "will the dogs eat the dog food"

In your case, I view it no differently. You invested your time and I was curious as to what problem you were trying to solve? I do not have years and years of LT1 first-hand experience as I've only owned one for 4 years but have not seen this weep hole problem.

You've also been given sound advice about foreign matter entering into the pump

I don't understand why the outrage but alas, the times have changed and you can no longer be direct with people. I guess we need to beat around the bush when answering

From now on, I'll be sure to ask posters their age so I know if I can answer the question quickly or do a dance to spare their feelings.

If I have a question to post I hope that Gorn will reply and although it kills me to also say this, that Camaro 69 will reply as well :-)

Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I feel bad he went this way, on these forums you have 16 year old kids with hand drills and their uncle’s taps ready to do damage, I have to be blunt when I see something like this. I am terrible with the written word, in the real world I could joke about it and play it off as not a big deal because it’s not.

I can get into detail about how a bearing works and how the grease does not work like you may think, but that is from working as a ME in a test lab for NTN BCA. My kids think I am a complete moron because I do not know how to text on my phone. No one knows everything.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I feel the same way. Over the internet it's sometimes hard to know the skill level of the person asking questions, or showing what they're doing. Unfortunately some take questioning their motives or techniques as a personal attack without realizing the intent is to help. Basically, if you don't want comments or feedback, then don't post a thread.