LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

starting a project

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default starting a project

i am starting this"project" by researching. this is the first art of this project
anyways since im pretty sure my overheating issue is fixed i want to get back on trac and start moding the z some more.
my next step will be the headers and full exhaust setup. then a throttle body.

but ive relized that you realy cant make you're car a beast without realy working inside the engine. (im looking for 10s-realy low 12s)so i was thinking i could buy a non running lt1 engine (as a progect)and build it up over time and eventualy put it in my car.then ithought ,where the hell would i put an extra engine?!?!? so then i looked atebay for some ported heads and stuff and found this!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully...spagenameZWDVW
if i were to get these would i be able to just remove the stock heads and slap these on or what else would i have to do before putting them on? i know ill have to reprogram the computer.would i need a new intake manifold like meybe a ls1 kind or what should i look for?it says that, cams, springs, and all are comin in the package so what else would i need to do? also what else could i do to get more power at the point in putting them on(since the motor would be out)? what amount of power would this be giving me? then meybe after all this id toss on some nitrous?![8D]
This probably wont happen for a while but i know be fore you do somthing like this you need to research and look for other options. im reading things all over the internet and any input from you guys would be great also. im realy considering doing this but im looking at ball possiblitys to make my decision and what route to take!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Default RE: starting a project

i would just bore it out to a 383 stoker, thatll give you tons of hp if done right.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ok what gets bored and where do i send it to have that done? about how much does it cost for somone to do it(bore it)

Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Droid

You cannot just bore the engine and get a 383, you will need a stroker crank & new pistons, and clearance work done to block. Also if you want to make the kind of power to get you into the 10s and keep the engine in one piece, the whole bottom end will have to be redone including going to 4 bolt main caps, forged rotating assembly & pistons. You can go ahead and buy the heads and cam, but for the other stuff you need to talk to the people that are gong to do the machine work, otherwise you may just wind up with a pile of unuseable parts. If you haven't done so already, you need to buy a book on modifying the LT1 and find out what you are going to run into. It will save you time, money , and aggravation.