Starting my 76 restoration project for - ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Default Starting my 76 restoration project for - ideas welcome

Hello everyone. I own a 76 Type LT (owned since 1993) with a 350 SB and 350 TH. Right now I am starting to get my restoration project mapped out. Although it is a fairly solid vehicle, I am replacing pretty much everything on it. So I am trying to get "macro" ideas about how to approach my restoration. I have slowly been aquiring parts over the years and have ~75% of all the interior & body parts I need (engine and other mechanical parts are another story but easy to get). All remaining parts are also easy to get so I am waiting until I need them to actually buy them. I have a master plan in my head but wanted to get some feedback from those who have done this before.

My gut feeling is to start working on some of the mechanical issues (which I can do) before I do any paint & body work. Specifically, I am thinking I could do the supension, steering, brakes, brake lines, rear end, etc and get that out of the way. Basically anything that would not need to be pulled when the P&B work gets done. Any thoughts? I suppose I could include electrical work in this stage as well, yes? (not including ignition or other engine electrical)

I will obviously need to research and pick a P&B shop. I am thinking Q1 2009 is when it will go in (long time away but good shops book fast). This explains why I am wanting to do some work ahead of time so I can go ahead and get the ball rolling.

Last will be the interior, which will be a fairly simple task since I have taken the interior apart a few times before

As you can see, I am initially looking for broad ideas on the best approach. I know the car inside and out and will do almost everything but the P&B work so I want to take advantage of that. I will rebuild the 350 in there now but don't want anything "radical", but I am not sure under which step the engine rebuild should fall. Should I just pull it when the car goes into the body shop and work on it then since it won't be a complex rebuild? If I took my sweet time the engine rebuild will take a few weeks.

I know there is a lot to chew on in this post, so thanks for any feedback you can offer me.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Default RE: Starting my 76 restoration project for - ideas welcome

Here is a pic of my car just chillin' in the garage waiting for a facelift

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ly/camaro1.jpg

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM

what color are you goin to paint it
i would go with a two tone paint job of sunburst orange with black on top

Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM

your plan seems to be a pretty good one but as far as paint goes i woutl do a copper color with black racing stripes trust me it looks mean on the 76