LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

So I'm having my head gaskets done what else should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Default So I'm having my head gaskets done what else should i do?

so i did my waterpump already and i blew my head gasket a few weeks later. I'm paying to have it done because i simply dont have the time but i was wondering if i should do anything else while the guys are in there? the car has 135xxx miles on it and I really want it to last so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
~Justin

btw its a 94 z28 6 speed

Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, since they're going to be doing that they will also do the manifold gaskets so you'll be good there. But since you blew a head gasket you will need to have the heads checked in case they warped as well as the mating surface for the intake. If you're not going to do anything performance wise and are just doing gaskets there really is no need to dabble any further. Except into figuring out why you blew a gasket to begin with.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM
4th Gear Member

valve stem seals
valve stem seals
valve stem seals
valve stem seals
valve stem seals

I dunno, but if I think of anything I'll be sure to post it

valve stem seals
valve stem seals
valve stem seals
valve stem seals

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you got coolant in the oil it would be a good idea to pick up a rebuilt short block or low mile block or short block. i see one that supposed to have 44k on it for 250 bucks in florida, summit has gm performance short block for just under 3k. if that is not an option i would have the heads gone through maybe through in some stronger springs. depending on the available cash and your wishes there is allot that could be done. now would be the time to install headers and have a le2 job on the heads. 135k is borderline as far as building the top end and not the bottom so you will want to know how the motor has been cared for and if the coolant has gotten in there the last thing you want to do is build the top end or anything thats going to add stress to the crank and cam bearings.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
if you got coolant in the oil it would be a good idea to pick up a rebuilt short block or low mile block or short block. i see one that supposed to have 44k on it for 250 bucks in florida, summit has gm performance short block for just under 3k. if that is not an option i would have the heads gone through maybe through in some stronger springs. depending on the available cash and your wishes there is allot that could be done. now would be the time to install headers and have a le2 job on the heads. 135k is borderline as far as building the top end and not the bottom so you will want to know how the motor has been cared for and if the coolant has gotten in there the last thing you want to do is build the top end or anything thats going to add stress to the crank and cam bearings.
hmmm

funny how we all interpret posts differently.

My takeaway was he was just doing the absolute needed repairs to get back on the road. If he has the time and $$$$$, then heck yeah refresh the whole enchillada

Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM

well I'm not poor but ive already just put a new tranny in it about 2 months ago and i really dont want to put too much more in it, i am doing headers while its all open and there wasnt any antifreeze in the oil but the heads are being done anyway i got a price for all of it but if i can do anything minor for a little more hp that wont kill my wallet terribly i'd like to do it but i dont want to go crazy considering this is my daily driver. as far as doing the bottom end i definitely dont have 3 grand sitting around lol. i just want to be able to take it on a long drive and not worry about anything

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont know what your paying to have the heads done but you may want to have a le1 job from lloyd if the cost is not that much more. 900 bucks LT1 LE1 «

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

I would definitely take the time to get the heads worked on. If you don't want a to get any performance upgrade id have the machine shop at least do a valve job. My machine shop charges me about 250 for a valve job if I provide the parts which should be included in the headgasket kit. That includes checking for cracks and resurface. Also ask you machine shop if they can order the headgasket kit for you. My machine shop usually gets me somewhere round 30% off retail and their kits comes with more misc parts. Depending on how busy your shop is it shouldn't take long. I usually get em back in 3 days but 1-2 weeks is expected.