LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Possible fuel Pressure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test the fuel pressure regulator and did you change the fuel filter?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by craby
test the fuel pressure regulator and did you change the fuel filter?
Yes I changed the fuel filter right before I changed the fuel pump. How would I test the regulator?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can pull the vacuum hose off and see if it is leaking but if your fuel pressure is within spec at idle is most likely working ok. The cold start issue could the check valve in the pump. Try cycling the key on in the morning a couple of times before you start it. Then start it. If it fires right up it is most likely the check valve if the issue still happens I would look at the ignition system and test for spark cold.

I bough a cheap Airtex pump to replace mine and I ended up replacing the new pump twice in a month (3 total installs) and the current pump has the same check valve issue. I have a better one sitting on the work bench waiting for me to have the time to install it.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go back and read number 33 on the shbox list.

Last edited by craby; 12-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 PM

Today I ran into a issue. After driving the car for a little while, I made a stop and shut off the car. When I went to turn on the car, it would not start. I ended up releaving the pressure on the fuel pressure regulator shradder valve, tried it again and the car fired right up. I am still having the start up issue, if I park it for a short period, or overnight that the car won't fire up right away. Almost like the fuel pressure has bleed off, but it does start on the second or third try. Again any and all help would be great. I went back and read number 33 on the shbox list, but everything checked fine. I dont think I missed any test steps but I will take another look at it. Oh one last thing, how can I test if my fuel level gauge on the dash is working correctly. when I pulled the sending unit out the lever looked to be in good working condition, I moved it up and down to make sure it was not stuck. Again thanks!

Last edited by fperezii; 01-30-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

because of the positioning and shape of the tank the gas gauges on the 4th gens are strange, almost all of em read way over full when full and you have about half a tank when its at 3/4. some run out at 1/4 and some go to e and some will run out somewhere between 1/4 and e. also once they get to 3/4 it drops really fast. are you low on gas when it acts up?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by craby
because of the positioning and shape of the tank the gas gauges on the 4th gens are strange, almost all of em read way over full when full and you have about half a tank when its at 3/4. some run out at 1/4 and some go to e and some will run out somewhere between 1/4 and e. also once they get to 3/4 it drops really fast. are you low on gas when it acts up?
No, I topped it off yesterday. I guess I will just have to see if it goes down or how it reacts. I can always put a aftermarket gauge correct?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

this is what i was told by lt1 guy from san antonio who dynoed my car. he said that there is something in the tank that is lettin the fuel drain outta the lines back into the tank (i dont remember the name of the part).you can check fuel pressure and ensure its at 36-40psi. or run the car for a minute then shut it off for a few minutes. then hit the shradder valve. fuel should come squirting out with force. if it just dribbles out you arent keeping proper psi. you can cycle the key on and off afew times to build the pressure a few times before starting itll help but its not a fix jus a band aid to the problem.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it does not make sense that releasing pressure will help to start unless theres air in it. there is a check valve in the fuel pump that does not let the fuel back into the tank.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

thats the way it was explained to me or something along those lines. the car isnt keeping proper psi when the car is off. and it needs time to build up pressure back up when you try to start it. i was told that when you push on the shradder valve the fuel should come out with force.

Quick Reply: Possible fuel Pressure Problem