LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Possible fuel Pressure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Could a bad sending unit cause fuel pressure loss, as well as the car not to start.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the car is turning over and the fuel system is working correctly then no. have you tested the fuel pressure?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by craby
if the car is turning over and the fuel system is working correctly then no. have you tested the fuel pressure?
Yes I did a fuel pressure test and it did not have any pressure what so ever. I tested the fuel pump before I removed it. I used a power supply to apply 12 volts to the pump, but it did nothing. So I then removed it and tested it while it was out, same result. While I hade it out I tested the connection with a volt meter to ensure I was getting the 12 volts all the way to the pump, and it showed that power was present. Now all I have to do is get a new fuel pump I guess and hope that is the issue. I have read about some people using different style pumps. Is it any difference from using a OE style pump as verse a aftermarket pump like Walbro or such? Again thanks for all the help.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I Like to Party

Sounds like it is the pump, I can't think of anything else, if the power is obviously there with no pressure,the pump evidently can't seem to pump the fuel needed. In other words,its shooting blanks.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by iLL95
Sounds like it is the pump, I can't think of anything else, if the power is obviously there with no pressure,the pump evidently can't seem to pump the fuel needed. In other words,its shooting blanks.
The original problem the car had, was that it would lose fuel pressure while driving and shut off. Then 10 minutes or so the car would start back up. I am trying to help out a friend to get this thing running right again. Could the original issue be due to the opti-spark starting to go out? either way once I get the new fuel pump in I will see what the car is doing or not doing. I am not very familiar with Camaro's so I am thankful for any and all help. Thanks

Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say the old pump was overheating and shutting down. dont use the cheap pumps. for some reason i was thinking i have a walbro but its a granatelli 255. they may be made by the same company. seems to be working ok. i opened the plastic bucket and fit the pump in and used a plastic welder to put back together. did you use the hatch method to get the pump out

Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by craby
i would say the old pump was overheating and shutting down. dont use the cheap pumps. for some reason i was thinking i have a walbro but its a granatelli 255. they may be made by the same company. seems to be working ok. i opened the plastic bucket and fit the pump in and used a plastic welder to put back together. did you use the hatch method to get the pump out
Yes I cut the area out over the unit. It makes it so much easier. All I have to do is make the hatch/cover for it. I will try to find a pump for it today and let you guys know how it went.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Well I changed the pump it it started right up. Fuel pressure is holding at around 47 psi. Now I will try to duplicate the original issue. I'm hoping that it was the pump all along.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Ok I got the car running again, but u noticed that in the morning it does not crank right up. After I drive it, stop, and park it cranks up fine. Any input on this would be great.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by fperezii
Ok I got the car running again, but u noticed that in the morning it does not crank right up. After I drive it, stop, and park it cranks up fine. Any input on this would be great.
Probably due to fuel pressure bleeding off in the system. I would think that it is normal.

Quick Reply: Possible fuel Pressure Problem