LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

new and need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Default new and need some advice!

Hi im new to this site but i have a 96 z28. I bought it with some mods and some i have installed myself, it has starting from the front a moroso cold air intake, the mass airflow sensor has been ported (but still stock internals), a BBK throttle body (not sure what size), a LT4 conversion kit which includes cam, heads with bigger valves and 1.6 roller rockers, and possibly the intake (so im told but im not sure what the kit included), shorty headers which may have been stock, a centerforce dual friction clutch attached to the stock 6-speed trany after i demolished a few cheap "performance clutches", a b&m short throw shifter, nitto drag radials, and maybe a few other things im forgeting, oh yeah it has a 4 point roll cage (which makes me feel a little safer with the t-tops) and a strut tower bar. But i guess my reason for creating this post is that friday night i decided to install my nitrous kit on the car and after a quick install (using NX solenoids with a purge, a wilson bottle, and a fogger nozzle, tapped into the stock fuel system) i pilled it to spray 75hp and headed for the road. I ran down one way and bumped it a little just to get a feel and turned around started in first and eased to second (which is grinding a little and im not sure why, maybe syncros) but about half way through second i activated the switch and hit the gas to turn on the wot switch which made a noticeable difference and eased into third bumping it a little but when i got into 4th i really poured the gas to it at about 135 and shortly after there was somewhat of an explosing and the car puked the driveshaft out the back. At first i thought it was the trany but was glad to see i was missing a driveshaft after stopping. I guess my real question is did the nitrous do that or was there maybe weak spot in the front yoke where it broke and should i go back with a stock steel shaft or maybe an aluminum or will they hold up?

Sorry it is so long but i tend to get into all the details when im telling a story. I also would like to know what kindof numbers i should be turning with this car hp and on the track with and without the nitrous.

thanks for any replys!

Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: new and need some advice!

Probably had a bad U joint all along and you finished off. Welcome to the joys of nitrous.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Yeah, I bought new u joints that day but i didnt have a chance to change them. Guess i should have made time! Does the overall set up of the car sound like it would make good power and possibly run a good time?

Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Droid

It should, as long as things stay toghether.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 PM

What type of driveshaft should i put in it? Will the aluminum ones make that much difference since there will be less rotating mass or is there a loss of strength by going with aluminum over the steel?