LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

95 Camaro Street Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95 Camaro Street Project

So, Im new here, used to have a vette but have now decided to get a camaro. Right now Im looking at buying a 95 Z28 (with the LT1), new clutch and springs, and thought you all could give me some feedback on my plans, which are to make a respectable street racer. First question, build up the LT1 or new engine? I will have around $4000 to spend on the engine now, and the camaro has an LT1 in it (which I would sell if I was getting another engine)- so.... about $5500 for a new engine, or $4000 to build up the LT1. What would you go with? I was thinking of putting on a supercharger or twin turbo setup (my friend installs custom turbos, so I could get either one for almost nothing, just materials). Would that be a good choice? Right now I'm leaning torwards a built LT1, 6spd tranny, complete exhaust (headers back), custom ECU, and new set of gears in the rear end... maybe a set of 3.42s. After that, possibly a set of twin turbos depending on how im feeling, and how the cars running. , Does that sound like a good setup? Thanks for all feedback.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 95 Camaro Street Project

i think $4000 is plenty enough to beef up an LT1. true, you could just buy a crate engine, but these LT1s can definately be made into runners. i didnt do much to make mine a prominent streetracer, if you will... lol. let me know what you do tho id like to see how it plays out

Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 AM
Overdrive Member

I'd say upgrade the LT1, it's an amazing design that really wasn't around long enough for a lot of people to experience. You should go for an agressive cam, Eagle 400 crank and port and polish the heads and intake manifold and some new pistons. With a proper ECU programming and that set up, you should be able to get about 11.5:1 compression and pass emissions on pump gas(cheer for the reverse cooling design on the LT1!). There's a place called "Golen Engine Service" that outfits LT1's with that setup. Pick up Chevy High Performance mag if you want more details, but the quick and dirty is

Block: 383ci LT1(with 4 bolt main)
Oiling: Melling high-volume pan, new factory 5 quart pan
Crank: Eagle cast steel, internally balanced
Rods: Scat 4340 forged, 6 inches long
Pistons: SRP forge, full-floating, 11.5:1 compression
Rings: Speed Pro Plasma-Moly
Heads: GM aluminum LT1(stock head), 54cc chamber, five-angle valve job, Stage 2 Porting, 190cc intake runners, ARP bolts, Manley stainless steel valves, 2.00/1.56 inch, back cut
Cam: Comp Cams hydrolic roller
Lift: 0.585/0.544
Durations at 0.050: 236/244
Lobe separation: 112 deg.
Timing set: GM LT4 Extreme-Duty roller
Valvetrain: Comp cams 1.6:1 Pro Magnum roller rockers on 7/16 inch studs; copm retainers, locks, springs, guide plates, pushrods and lifters

Golen with a proper intake manifold polish and bored intake for a 58mm throttle body, a PCM tune and 30-pound injectors gets 480 HP. On that setup you couldn't run turbo's, but it's pretty sweet to be able to be able to run all motor in my opinion.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

At one point in time I thought like you. I wanted to make my 94 Z28 into an LT-4. I spent more than 4 grand, but I know the results are going to be awesome. I am still in the process of doing it.

I bought the following parts:

Long tube headers with Y pipe
LT-4 Hot Cam Kit
LT-4 Intake Manifold, which is expensive and hard to find.
Bored my engine block 30 over
New Pistons
New Valves
New Crank
Resurfaced heads
New heavy duty timing chain
New computer system

The list keeps going and going, but I know it is well over 4 grand. If I were you, the LT-1 is a great engine. My car had over 250,000 miles and it was still good. Stick with the LT-1.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wait, does the LT4 have the same block as an LT1? If so, could i use LT1 golen parts, but add on some LT4 parts in order to make more than 480hp? Basically, what im saying is (if I can use LT4 parts) can I make more than 480 hp due to the ability to use LT4 parts?

Old 11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Overdrive Member

The LT1 and the LT4 have the same block(it's the traditional chevy small block, so if you really wanted, you could drop heads on an LT1 from a 1976 Corvette...not a good plan, but you could). You could use LT4 parts, but they really wouldn't get you anything once your ported and polished the intake manifold and the heads. I should also input that you can purchase the complete Golen 480 HP motor from them for $6,899 or a 440 HP one for $5,999. If you were to sell the LT1 that's in it, and buy one of the Golen one's, you'd come out around the 4K you want to spend, and not have to put in massive amounts of work.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So, I want more power than the stock numbers of ~300. So, my question is this, is there a package, with all of the parts that would be needed to get around 450hp? Basically, i buy the parts and install them myself. You see, I have some mechanic friends who will help me with all the install + machining work, so I can get the work for free.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was looking through my Year One catolog and I found an LT1 to LT4 conversion kit. It said that it would put out 425 hp after installed. How is this possible if the LT4 only made 330hp? Are they talking at the crank? http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/h...AH5462&Style=5 here is the closest I could find online. In the catalogue, it is $2785, and comes with "LT4 Cylinder heads with LT1 rocker studs, LT4 Intake Manifold powder coated red, Heavy duty single roller timing set, GM hot cam kit (camshaft, 1.6 roller rockers, springs, retainers), and All necessary gaskets and seals. Does this sound like a good option and does it really make 425 rwhp?

Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

heres another option. i think its the same as the year one kit. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...ber=pk12550630 any opinions?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:49 AM
Overdrive Member

They can get more HP out of the kits because they have the LT4 Hot cam, which is even more aggressive than the traditional LT4 cam. I don't think it would yield an extra 95 hp though, so take it with a grain of salt. I couldn't pull up the second option, it didn't link correctly. I would say get the heads and intake you have on it worked over by a good head shop. It will be cheaper and they'll flow just as good, if not better than the LT4 stock heads. Purchase the LT4 hotcam kit(you can get it for around 500 bucks), it comes with the stiffer valve springs and the 1.6 roller rockers too. If you go ahead and buy those, might as well get a good set of Long tube headers and high flow cats(if you're going emissions legal). You'll need a PCM tune(www.pcmforless.com) and you'll probably want to invest in the LT4 knock module too, so you don't get retarded timing due to false knocks. If you want the full 440/480 hp, you'll also need to invest in a new Crank and stroke the motor up to 383, unless you want to run forced induction...

Quick Reply: 95 Camaro Street Project