LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

need help fast PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Ehhhh, since this trans problem came about so fast, have you checked all your fuses to make sure none have blown?
no i havent i didnt think a fuse would cause the trans to not shift ill check that out... it prob has nothing to do with it but i did remove an aftermarket alarm/remote start system between when it ran good and when it wouldnt shift

Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well i checked all the fuses none blown...

Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You need to talk to whoever is going to rebuild it before you buy a kit. A lot of guys would only use certain kits. If you are thinking of doing it yourself then think again. There is a ton of special tools needed to disassemble the clutch packs, align the pump and install seals. You get one valve in backwards or one seal installed wrong it could not work at all or worse it could work with low pressure. A big part of rebuilding a transmission is knowing what you are looking at. You need to figure what happened, did it just wear out or did it drop pressure that caused it to wear out. What is the condition of the one way clutch and the planetary gears sets? If you have never seen them before how would know what’s good and what’s not good?
Many of the parts are not reusable so if you have to take it a part to fix something you are doing almost as much work as another rebuild. Even trained mechanics that have not done several of a certain model has issues the first few times doing a new model. I knew one guy that rebuilt the 3 speed automatics for 20 years, he had a real tuff time when the 4 speeds first came out.

Buying a low miles or recent rebuilt tranny is likely the best bet budget wise but it is risky unless you buy from a yard with a warranty. Some shops will will charge a lot less if you pull/install the tranny. Just do not forget to clean out the cooling lines or just add a cooler.

I was GM trained on the 700 r4 and I have rebuilt several of them. If i had this issue i would pull the tranny and take it to someone that know the these things inside and out.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-13-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya i was just thinking or getting a junkyard trans there like 100$ and have a 60 day warranty... again how new can i go or do i have to stay in the obd1 area

Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just curious, how did you determine your trans is shot, and that it isn't the 2-3 shift solenoid or circuit that's bad? I know you said you "tested" them, but was that a bench test or in the trans using the factory wiring? And to an earlier question you had, only the drivers side solenoid ("A" 1-2) has spring pressure behind it.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i did bench test them but i also went to the junkyard and got another set of solenoids and rods and it didnt change anything but craby said the seals in the clutches will rot out if it sits and the car did sit for a year

Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

I would think that it would take longer than a year of sitting for the seals to dry out and fail. These are not the old natural rubber seals but synthetic rubber seals that probably would last the life of the transmission as long as the tranny has enough fluid in it.

Because you are seeing problems "come and go" with the transmisson, I would lean towards an electrical / wiring / connector problem.