LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 Clutch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default LT1 Clutch Recommendations

What is everyone using for a clutch? I just broke a dual friction clutch. The company warrantied it and sent me a free ceramic 6puck as an upgrade. I hate the 6puck. It chatters so bad and slips when you're giving the car anything more than half throttle. They told me that's normal during break in period, but it doesn't seem right. I've only put about 80 miles on this 6puck and in fed up with it. Before anyone asks, yes in 100% sure its installed correctly. So what does everyone recommend?

Oh and for record, my car is pretty much stock but I drive it rather hard. It sees the drag strip once every couple months. I plan on full bolt ons, cam, suspension, and a sticky tire before its all said and done. Want something that will hold up to all that!! Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Moderators or admin, feel free to move my thread if necessary. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No one?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you deglaze the Pressure plate and fly wheel? If you wear a clutch plate out fast you most likely polished or glazed the mating parts. At minimum you should use a DA sander to remove the glaze. In some cases the surfaces are heat checked. This requires machining to repair.

I use RAM clutches in my builds I have installed several Hays clutched for friends. I used the center force dual friction clutch in my V6 and was very happy with it. Smooth as glass the day I sold it with 100k on it but that was based on a ton of research.

There are a lot of places on a car you can save money. The material specification is SO important you really need to stick with name brands and American made if possible when buying a clutch. You really want to check reviews, and lots of them. You can have two clutch that look and feel identical but one could be 10 times better just because of the metallurgic properties of the metal used.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:34 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The pressure plate was brand new with the 6puck disk. The flywheel had no glaze. It still had the etch marks from last time I had it resurfaced. Thanks for the recommendation on the clutches. The 6puck is chattering less now that I've put 350 miles on it. It still slips a bit in higher gears or if I try to shift fast at high rpm but its not nearly as bad. I'm gonna give it a few hundred more miles of driving before I decide to keep the 6puck or chuck it lol

Old 06-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Mcleod also makes a good clutch. The first clutch I ever installed was in my 74 Camaro, Local hot rod shop recommended the Meleon. I owned that car for almost 10 years and it was the only clutch I ever put in it. It did end breaking my clutch linkage but it was a tuff clutch.

I would be worried about a clutch system that completely wore out a clutch plate and left the fly wheel in like new condition. Dual friction normally have half the pads of common clutch material and half the pads of composites. You should not be able to wear away a composite pad without wear to the fly wheel.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The plate and flywheel both looked great. It was the disk that I destroyed lol. The clutch was organic material on the flywheel side and Kevlar on the plate side. Both the flywheel and plate looked to be in great condition. But the organic material literally fell apart and I broke all the mounting tabs between the outer disk and the inner disk hub.