LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lessoned to be learned about opi spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
Sorry for the late reply. There are some rumors the Delphis are made in my factory now. But I have yet to confirm.

Sir, not to split hairs but the above statement, whether done intentionally or not, would lead one to believe that your company outright owns a factory, and builds, as opposed to your company doing an OEM of a part that is made by a manufacturer (ODM).

It is readily accepted today that even companies as large as Apple, HP et al do not own their own factories but outsource. Brands such as Sunbeam and Black and Decker and others OEM products which in essence is they slap their label and documentation onto a product.

If you have done studies of parts made by several ODM's and have found a good one, then there is value in that and you are doing a service to the LT1 community.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Sir, not to split hairs but the above statement, whether done intentionally or not, would lead one to believe that your company outright owns a factory, and builds, as opposed to your company doing an OEM of a part that is made by a manufacturer (ODM).

It is readily accepted today that even companies as large as Apple, HP et al do not own their own factories but outsource. Brands such as Sunbeam and Black and Decker and others OEM products which in essence is they slap their label and documentation onto a product.

If you have done studies of parts made by several ODM's and have found a good one, then there is value in that and you are doing a service to the LT1 community.
No you're not splitting hairs at all. You hit it on the head. What I was saying is that Delphi was a rebranded Delco unit at one point. That doesn't seem to be the case any longer. The Delco units are as far as I can tell being produced at a strictly contracted factory. I have not been able to source their production factory.

We have tested several factories just like you are talking about, that is our position in the market and we don't try to distort that fact like many companies do. When I say "our factory" I simply mean the factory we are using. There are no companies to my knowledge doing auto distributors that own their own factory. Even companies like MSD still outsource a significant portion of their production and put it together in house.

Part of the over 50% rule of "made in usa."

Last edited by ChandlerMotorsports; 02-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.