LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Just Another Overheating LT1 :-/

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

park the car on as steep a hill as you can with the front on the up side. most driveways have a pretty good incline to them. park the car and let cool if at operating temp. fill the radiator with coolant 50/50 water/antifreeze open the bleeder screws, should be three, one on the top of the therostat housing, one at the bottom of the thottle body and one on the hose by the alternator. open the screws untill you see coolant comming out then close. the one on the hose will not bleed till the motor is running. ok now refill radiator and with the radiator cap pff start the motor, rebleed all three screws, then refill radiator and put the radiator cap back on. take the car for a ride aroung the block and park on the hill again. let the motor cool and do it again. and again etc untill you get no more air.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 PM
4th Gear Member

It took me about 3 times to get all the air out. Today, I just let it sit and idle to see if it would overheat and the temp rose to about the 3/4 mark on the gauge, then the fan kicked on and cooled it down to about the 1/2 mark. Drove it down the road and it cooled down even more.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jared Cassedy
Yeah some water comes out the exhaust but not a lot and no smoke
A small amount of "water" in the exhaust is normal. It is a by product of combustion.
If the coolant was getting into the cylinders, you would know it by the white smoke and sickly sweet smell to your exhaust.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hmm well i just don't know what it can be then.. water is going somewhere, went through 2 gallons yesterday messing with it.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Ya see I never knew there was a third bleeder screw! I only used the one on the hose and the one on the thermostat housing... ya I will def try this... thank you for the information I hope this all solves it... I check back in and let you guys know how it goes..

Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

2 gallons is alot. its got to be showing up somewhere. rent a radiator pressure tester, most parts stores that let them out want a deposit on it and give it back when you bring back the tester and dont charge anything. that way you can pressure the system up and if the pressure is dropping you know something is leaking. should be easier to find.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah I tried checkers/o'reilys and they didn't have one but supposed to get one and said it's $150 to rent but get the money back. I think I'm going to change the oil and see if there's coolant/water in there

Originally Posted by craby
2 gallons is alot. its got to be showing up somewhere. rent a radiator pressure tester, most parts stores that let them out want a deposit on it and give it back when you bring back the tester and dont charge anything. that way you can pressure the system up and if the pressure is dropping you know something is leaking. should be easier to find.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 AM
2nd Gear member

You really need to see if you have water in the oil before you go any further. Water in oil will only lead to really bad things the longer it is allowed to sit in there.

If the coolant isn't going out the exhaust (white smoke is the telling sign), or leaking on the ground (puddles) or from the heater core (wet carpet on passenger side), then it is probably going into the oil pan somehow (foamy white, sticky oil is the key).

Figure out where it is going and determine your repair plan from there.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If there's water in with the oil, it will sink to the bottom of the pan once you let the car set a while (oil floats). Pull the drain plug in the oil pan real quick then put it back in, and see what comes out. If there's water in the oil pan, it will come out first.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Changed my oil and it looked fine with no water. So I just don't know what to do next.

Quick Reply: Just Another Overheating LT1 :-/