LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Hesitation, engine stutter, idle problems...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear member

I have vista, and my usb cable runs straight from the aldl port to my usb.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by JGuy07
I have vista, and my usb cable runs straight from the aldl port to my usb.

huh, i have the cable with serial end, that hooks into a block box withthe power cabl, maybe ill try it the other way then.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I'll clarify. I have a usb cable that runs into the "little black box" from the box there is another cable that connects and runs to the aldl port under the dash.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM
4th Gear Member

where did you guys get your cables?

I bougt mine at ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes and it's USB to OBD2 connector.

My only issue was stupid Windows and finding an interrupt it liked

Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Well my new stock tune didn't really help me much. It runs a little better but my overall problems persist. IDK what to do with this thing anymore.

I got my cable from Moates.net and enjoy it very much.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Had my car at the shop today over at the gm dealer. They hooked it up to a few different things and couldn't find the exact problem for my high idle. They sprayed around the intake, checked all hoses, valves and sensors. They even pulled the brake booster hose off and sprayed directly into the line for almost 30 seconds and it didn't kill the engine or cause it to bog down. So I am getting air from somewhere else and this has me worried.

They also said I still have a bad miss, so looks like I'll be having to get that opti looked at or replaced here soon along with new plugs.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Would a cracked block or warped/cracked heads be pulling in the extra air and causing this problem? I don't have any smoke out my exhaust so I'm thinking the heads is unlikely. And it wouldn't be totally clear about a cracked block since I still have all the coolant and oil leak buildup from when my intake manifold leaked. I guess I'll need to clean the rear seal around and back of the block to be sure. Just wanted to know if those problems could actually pull air in or not.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear member

I would think a cracked block or warped head would be easy to pin point. Was for me. Either be steaming out the pipes or water in the oil....or oil in ur antifreeze. Ive had oil in my antifreeze once and steaming like a old train once as well.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Let me know if you find out the problem? My car has the same symptoms. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear member

The anti-freeze is fine, I haven't seen any problems with the oil yet and this problem has been going on for quite some time. Even if I haven't noticed the fluids mixing would it still be possible for them to be bringing in air? I'm getting air from someplace and nobody could pinpoint or find it.

They told me I could be sure I was getting air from another source by taking off the intake exposing the TB, then taking a towel and blocking the passage of the TB to close it off from getting air and seeing how it reacts. They said it should die almost instantly, if not then I have a leak of some sort elsewhere.

Also, I still haven't done a compression test. And I know I've read up on it but can't recall right now. What exactly would the compression test show? Depending on the reading could mean exactly what, bad valve seals and stuff? Not quite sure, and if it does show low compression could that also be related to a leak of some sort which could be effecting the pressure within the block or heads that would be relating to my vacuum/high idle problem?

Last edited by JGuy07; 10-13-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitation, engine stutter, idle problems...