LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Hesitation, engine stutter, idle problems...

Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

This weekend I'm getting a new cap and rotor, and new plugs. I'm also going to do a compression test as well to make sure. Also was told I could use some sealer, like thermagasket or similar product like bars leaks stuff to rule out the gasket leak. Stuff seems to work pretty well. Bars leak has a product which is suppose to work as a permanent fix. But, I'll only need it to work until I get around doing some head work anyways.

Last edited by JGuy07; 10-14-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i wouldnt do just a cap and rotor. its not that much more for the whole opti and the reader could go right after you change the cap and rotor, then youd have to get the opti anyways.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member

When they checked it I didn't have any codes for the sensor, but when I take the opti off I'll check if it looks real bad or the bearings are bad then I'll have to try and get an opti. I only have enough to do a cap and rotor with new plugs, and maybe the head and block sealer.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by JGuy07
When they checked it I didn't have any codes for the sensor, but when I take the opti off I'll check if it looks real bad or the bearings are bad then I'll have to try and get an opti. I only have enough to do a cap and rotor with new plugs, and maybe the head and block sealer.

Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't use any sealers.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear member

I talked to a few guys who have used them, and have used them in customers vehicles with success and no complaints. If I do the compression test and results show possible leaks, I'll have no other option for now then to try the sealers. It pours right into the coolant causing no harm to the cooling system. You let the engine run for about 20 minutes or so and it fills the leak areas and seals them, eventually hardening the cracks. It would only be a fix until I get my head work done as I mentioned, but idk when that would be. Would be better then continuing to use my dd with a head gasket leak or something.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by JGuy07
I talked to a few guys who have used them, and have used them in customers vehicles with success and no complaints. If I do the compression test and results show possible leaks, I'll have no other option for now then to try the sealers. It pours right into the coolant causing no harm to the cooling system. You let the engine run for about 20 minutes or so and it fills the leak areas and seals them, eventually hardening the cracks. It would only be a fix until I get my head work done as I mentioned, but idk when that would be. Would be better then continuing to use my dd with a head gasket leak or something.
Hopefully it will work for ya, Ive used it once, ended ugly for me.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear member

I hope so too haha better then spending large amounts of cash for the fix at a shop. Especially with it being the DD and needing it to get me through the winter before any big projects are put into it.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Been having someone look at my data logs again, he believes my opti cam sensor is going bad or is already fouled from what he's seeing. It would be causing my high rpm spikes randomly and could also be contributing to my elevated idle rpms as well. So looks like I'll have to try a new opti all together. Probably going to give the CMS opti a try....

Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear member

Opti was trashed more or less. Took it off and heard something rattling around inside, assuming part of the rotor or the screws. Also, when I took the two outer torx screws out the whole side just popped up exposing a large gap on the side of my opti, and also there is quite a bit of play in the shaft so here comes a new opti. Since I'm a broke A$$ I'll be going with the CMS opti and seeing how that turns out, of course I'll need the timing cover gasket set and oil pan gasket from FelPro. This also gives me a good time to clean up after my intake leak, this thing is FILTHY!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Keep us posted how long the Chandler lasts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitation, engine stutter, idle problems...