LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Hesitation, engine stutter, idle problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear member

This would be the second MAP in only a few months. I guess I can use a meter to verify the signal voltage the scan software is showing, it probably won't show anything different. But if it does then could mean a problem with the PCM itself? I pulled the PCM today and checked the terminals and wires for corrosion, frays, or bad spots and everything looked ok so I put it back in. I reset the BLM's and the IAC actuator and also pulled the PCM fuse and left it unplugged for about 30 min. Still got the same bad performance afterwards.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear member

I meant the map bar reading is .3 the voltage fluctuates anywhere from 1.3v-1.4v

Could this also indicate that I still have a vacuum leak somewhere?

I put an old MAP sensor back on and got the same readings, so this sort of rules the actual sensor being my problem. What else would I look for that could be effecting it now?

Last edited by JGuy07; 10-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Another update: I have all the necessary software and tools to do a tune/reflash my pcm. So, using winflash I pulled/read the tune already on my pcm and saved that file to my computer. Then, after a long time of searching I found a stock '94 m6 z28 bin file. I uploaded this file and flashed my pcm. Then once again I pulled/read the tune with winflash to make sure it took and it did. I opened up TunerPro RT and compared the two files. The file for my original tune was ALL JANKED UP! Numbers were all over the place, there didn't appear to be any sort of fit reason or pattern for anything. The stock tune made much more sense to me and everything seemed to be in place as it should. I got done way to late tonight so starting it up was out of the question. I have toddlers who live next door and my car and garage sit next to their bedrooms :/ so first thing to do tomorrow is to walk outside and start her up, hope all is well!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by JGuy07
Another update: I have all the necessary software and tools to do a tune/reflash my pcm. So, using winflash I pulled/read the tune already on my pcm and saved that file to my computer. Then, after a long time of searching I found a stock '94 m6 z28 bin file. I uploaded this file and flashed my pcm. Then once again I pulled/read the tune with winflash to make sure it took and it did. I opened up TunerPro RT and compared the two files. The file for my original tune was ALL JANKED UP! Numbers were all over the place, there didn't appear to be any sort of fit reason or pattern for anything. The stock tune made much more sense to me and everything seemed to be in place as it should. I got done way to late tonight so starting it up was out of the question. I have toddlers who live next door and my car and garage sit next to their bedrooms :/ so first thing to do tomorrow is to walk outside and start her up, hope all is well!
Good Luck!

I wish I could get my pcm to connect to my laptop......I installed drivers and all and still nothing. Was it hard for you to get yours to work?
Heck Im considering dragging my extra gaming desktop pc out side to see if I can get it to work...

Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Once I downloaded my driver, within 5 minutes I was performing my first scan and saving my data logs. Which software program are you using? I have datamaster, Freescan, and tunerpro rt on my computer and have done scans and logs in all of them by now. You have to make sure you're using the correct comm-port and that it is set up in each program correctly.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear member

Once I downloaded my driver, within 5 minutes I was performing my first scan and saving my data logs. Which software program are you using? I have datamaster, Freescan, and tunerpro rt on my computer and have done scans and logs in all of them by now. You have to make sure you're using the correct comm-port and that it is set up in each program correctly.
I have datamaster, freescan, pcmread, pcmcomm, and lt1 edit. I use comm port 3. I had to convert the serial cable to a usb, but I installed the driver for the adpter, and the cable drivers. I have a test to run to check connection and it passes, but everytime I try to connect it fails to find pcm. none of the programs sync up.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:38 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok first thing I did was to set up my cable/driver/and port. I went to control panel, system/maintenance, then device manager. Then I plugged in my usb aldl cable and it picked it up. Click on the usb device(which would be your cable) and go to its options/details. There you can make sure the driver is installed correctly and also assign a comm-port(Use anything under 8). The MS delay or whatever it is referred to needs to be set at 1 for best results. Once you set those up and apply it you should be set.

Then, open up freescan, sometimes mine doesn't pick up the cable first time so I unplug it and plug it back in. Freescan should pick the cable up on it's own if you have it set up right. Just make sure you select the same comm-port you assigned the cable and that the ms delay is also set at 1. Click the option for "interact" and then "force data" then start your scan. It should work.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
4th Gear Member

I kept getting interface errors so i messed with all the different ports and finally found one that my pc liked....gotta love Windows

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I know I am old, but I'd almost rather throw parts at these problems than #u@% with ports and cables and software... and I said almost...

We all learn from this great thread, thanks for sharing. My '95 Z runs okay, but i am checking all the things y'all mention above, hopefully as a pre-emptive measure...

My plugs are dark, and with the O2s are of unknown age. NGK iX and Denso to the rescue...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok first thing I did was to set up my cable/driver/and port. I went to control panel, system/maintenance, then device manager. Then I plugged in my usb aldl cable and it picked it up. Click on the usb device(which would be your cable) and go to its options/details. There you can make sure the driver is installed correctly and also assign a comm-port(Use anything under 8). The MS delay or whatever it is referred to needs to be set at 1 for best results. Once you set those up and apply it you should be set.

Then, open up freescan, sometimes mine doesn't pick up the cable first time so I unplug it and plug it back in. Freescan should pick the cable up on it's own if you have it set up right. Just make sure you select the same comm-port you assigned the cable and that the ms delay is also set at 1. Click the option for "interact" and then "force data" then start your scan. It should work.
What version of windows do you use? Does your cable have a power cable that you plug into your cig lighter?

Quick Reply: Hesitation, engine stutter, idle problems...