LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Help me Get more power

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by dlaidoutranger
the only thing you have left to do that would make power would be an underdrive pulley set, but that would only be good for about 5hp, you could gain a couple more hp if you do an a/c delete pulley, but thats about all you have left to do on your motor that would be an easy bolt on, if you want more power you are going to have to start changing internals. in my honest opinion with the facts that you are 16, this is your first car i would suggest leaving it the way it is, i know thats not what your wanting to hear but this is coming from exprience, when i was 16 i owned a couple of high hp street/strip cars and got into alot of trouble with them, i suggest, and again this is just a suggestion, im not telling you to not go all out if thats what your wanting, but just enjoy the car, drive it and find out how it handles and what its limits are and when you know how it handles and reacts like you know the back of your hand, then start with adding more power, the car is pretty powerful the way it is and will take most mustangs so just enjoy now
ac delete pulleys dont free up power. all there designed for is to replace a locked up compressor if you decided not to get another one. an ac compressor not running is the same as the delete pulley, free spinning.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

true that, but it would at least shed a couple lbs

Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 PM

So lets say I do start getting into the more complicated internal parts of the engine, what would he the first thing I should upgrade to increase up?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a good tune can pick up 25hp in some cases. can also get you better mpg at the same time. go to the site i linked to and read some on it. if your serious give solomon a shout and let him know what you have. he can filll you in better than i on what a tune will do for your setup.

Originally Posted by Norfolk96z28
The headers run to a 3inch Y pipe then its basicly straight piped almost to the the rear then it has some muffler with like a downturn. Ill post some pics soon of the z28. Also what does it do to get the computer tuned?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

So lets say I do start getting into the more complicated internal parts of the engine, what would he the first thing I should upgrade to increase up?
cam, rockers, springs, loyde elliot heads, 58mm tb. thats about all you can do with out rebuilding the bottom end and going 383

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 06-25-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
4th Gear Member

honestly, the first thing which should be upgraded is your bank account.

once you open the top end it comes down to ....you may as well also do this

if you are going for a cam then new springs and rockers should be done. Why do the valve train without gettng new seats, guides and an overall valve job? Since the heads are off, why not have them flow better?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
honestly, the first thing which should be upgraded is your bank account.

once you open the top end it comes down to ....you may as well also do this

if you are going for a cam then new springs and rockers should be done. Why do the valve train without gettng new seats, guides and an overall valve job? Since the heads are off, why not have them flow better?
So basicly unless i want to drop a couple grand i should just get a basic tune up, and maybe get the computer tuned ?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
4th Gear Member

So basicly unless i want to drop a couple grand i should just get a basic tune up, and maybe get the computer tuned ?
that is up to you

4th gens are a royal pain in the butt to work on. If you're putting in a cam, push rods, springs and rockers then new seals should be installed and then since you are that far into it, yank the heads.

that is just my opinion.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

PM me dude, im in Norfolk, I have a couple buddies with LTs and LSs.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 AM

I know this is a old post that I made but does anyone know of someone that's turbo'd or supercharged their lt1.?

Quick Reply: Help me Get more power