April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes failing 02 sensor, fouled plug or plugs, exhaust leak before the 02 sensor,

Old 02-06-2012 | 07:41 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
Im gonna pull the O2 out tomorrow and look at it. But i assume its gonna be very black since it running rich on that one side...how can ya tell if its bad if its not throwing a code?

Just thinking here...but i bet i can take the injectors off the driver side(flooding side) and put them on the passenger side and see if the flooding changes. If it does thats a sure sign that the injectors are bad....am i thinking right?

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:03 AM
|
2nd Gear member

I dont know why I never thought of this. When I bought the car, i found that the driver side header had a large hole into and to fix it someone had taken a beer can and wrapped it and clamped it with hose clamps. So when I started reinstalling the engine i took both headers to the shop and had that one fixed and the other one i had the tube cut off and welded up, since they wasnt used.
My brother told me last night when he rode in the car about a yr before i got it, it had a bad exhaust leak and was flooding back then. Its not skipping or anything.

So with that being said, and only throwing a map low vac code... Would that mess up the O2 sensor on the driver side, the side that floods...

So I pulled it out. Here is is. No crust on the ends and I wiped it clean with a rag. But super black.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injectors-2012-02-07-12.24.12.jpg  

Last edited by numskull223; 02-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2012 | 12:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

that is a fouled 02 sensor. that will cause it to run richer. first had to run rich to foul, once fouled a 02 sensor can read a lean condition when a rich condition is what is real. to clean try heating with torch, i use an acetylene setup. dont know if a propane torch will work. it will burn the black stuff off. dont heat all just the sensor end and not so hot as to melt the wires.

Old 02-07-2012 | 12:16 PM
|
2nd Gear member

that is a fouled 02 sensor. that will cause it to run richer. first had to run rich to foul, once fouled a 02 sensor can read a lean condition when a rich condition is what is real. to clean try heating with torch, i use an acetylene setup. dont know if a propane torch will work. it will burn the black stuff off. dont heat all just the sensor end and not so hot as to melt the wires.
Check it out, I wiped it off with a rag, didnt scrub it or heat it.....yet. Should I just buy a new one, they only 22.95...lol

Oh, i found something neat for injectors.

Fuel injector cleaning - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injectors-2012-02-07-12.27.31.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012 | 02:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dont want to use cleaning agents on 02 sensors, also do not want to ground the sensor wire to the housing. high heat is best way to clean, sensor is inside the part with holes so wiping will not help. dont use bosch sensors.

Old 02-10-2012 | 05:33 PM
|
2nd Gear member

dont want to use cleaning agents on 02 sensors, also do not want to ground the sensor wire to the housing. high heat is best way to clean, sensor is inside the part with holes so wiping will not help. dont use bosch sensors.
Talked the person that checked my injectors out. They said they was in good shape. really no difference after the cleaning, they all flow good and patteren was good...to bad i pd for nothing....other than pc of mind.

so with that taking care of, can we blame the O2 sensor fory flooding on the 1 side? I ordered a new one....havent got it yet tho.

Old 02-10-2012 | 06:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what were they flowing at, and at what pressure? if your going to have it tuned the tuner would like to have that info.

Old 02-10-2012 | 07:06 PM
|
2nd Gear member

what were they flowing at, and at what pressure? if your going to have it tuned the tuner would like to have that info.
I didnt ask...ill get a print of everything when i get em back. i was just asking if there was any probs with them before he cleaned them.

Old 02-13-2012 | 10:14 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Well guys, i feel like an idiot. I was messing with my camaro, trying to see what was causing my flooding on the driver side.......well my headers run into a huge y pipe....and then splits back off in the back, so i guess all my exhaust is coming out the diver side pipe that comes out of the muffler.......that sound right?

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors