LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Extra bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Extra bolts

Help,

I just finished changing out my opti (new opti, plugs, wires, coil, coolant flush, waterpump and thermostat) and I ended up with two extra bolts.

They are both 9/16" x 1". They are too short for the waterpump, don't go to the coil/ignition module bracket and too long for the alternator.

Any guesses as to where these two bolts go?

Also, I dropped one of the 9/16" x 3/4" bolts that hold the alternator on. I can't find it, it did not fall all the way to the garage floor. I can't find it. Any idea of where it may be hiding on the chassis somewhere?

Other than the three bolts, the thing definitely idles smoother, but I can't say that is definitely from the new opti, or the rest of the ignition pieces.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or just replies.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are three bolts on each side of the water pump. two long ones and one short. i would say u have not put the two short ones in. the alt bolt is probly setting on top of the opti or the ac unit and could be hung up on the power steering pump.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear member

I thought about the waterpump first, but these two bolts are too short for short ones (plus I have all six in and torqued).

I'll try to look around the PS pump for the alternator bolt and hopefully it will be there and I can get it. I know it is not on the opti as I dropped it before I put the new opti in. I was thinking that it fell into the front crossmember and is stuck in there.

Normally I wouldn't worry too much about droppng a bolt and would just get another out of the bin. But it is so tight under the hood on this beast that I fear it will get somewhere that it can do damage.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are u sure all the brackets are on the alternator? on the back theres one on top and one on the bottom one hooks to the block the other to the intake. thats all i can think of. yah i was thinking u already looked on the crossmember.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, I got all the alternator brackets. I just got a bolt out of the bin and replaced the one for the alternator that I dropped. I took it out for a 15 mile test drive and she ran great! If that one bolt didn't fall out on the test drive, then I don't think she will.

I still can't figure out where the two extra bolts came from. I am going to let her cool off and go have another look around and see if I can find anything loose.

Damn glad that I got her back together though. What a complete pain in the rear. I'm not sure I will do it next time, I may just have to take her in if I need to go through this again.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear member

cmon!!!wasnt that bad!!lol.did you loosen or take off the secondary air pump?guess your belt would be loose if the bolts werent in.congrats on the changeover.one more time n you'll be a pro!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Did you have any friends over while you were working? I shouldn't tell this but we use to throw a few extra nuts and bolts around when one of our military buddies was working on his harley or wait until the next day and put a few drops of oil under it! It was funny back then. He would probably kick our rears today if we ever admitted to it.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear member

I've done the same thing myself on more than one occasion.

But no, I didn't have any friends over to help or even look in the garage. Unless the keebler elves came in one night just to mess with me.

I honestly cannot find where these two bolts are supposed to go. Nothing is loose and the car runs like a scalded ape!

I will just keep my eyes open everytime I have the hood up and maybe I'll get lucky and remember.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
Help,

I just finished changing out my opti (new opti, plugs, wires, coil, coolant flush, waterpump and thermostat) and I ended up with two extra bolts.

They are both 9/16" x 1". They are too short for the waterpump, don't go to the coil/ignition module bracket and too long for the alternator.

Any guesses as to where these two bolts go?

Also, I dropped one of the 9/16" x 3/4" bolts that hold the alternator on. I can't find it, it did not fall all the way to the garage floor. I can't find it. Any idea of where it may be hiding on the chassis somewhere?

Other than the three bolts, the thing definitely idles smoother, but I can't say that is definitely from the new opti, or the rest of the ignition pieces.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or just replies.
i'm about to do the same thing on my 94 z28, just wondering, how much did all that end up costing you?