LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

exhaust manifold gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default exhaust manifold gasket?

ok so my camaro was sitting for about 3 days, because i was trying to replace the pcv valve and the hose broke so i found out the hard way that it takes a special pre bent hose for the pcv, i order it from the dealer and i got it 3 days later. I install the pcv valve i turn on the hood and i see that in the exhaust manifold from the driver side has spit out like what seems to be vapor. its on the back above the 4 spark plug in driver side. could i have a mest up gasket. Also when i start the car i hear like the exhaust rattles a bit, only when its cold and well sometimes even when its hot. thnax for the help in advance

Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: exhaust manifold gasket?

#4 spark plug is on the passenger side. 4th one back on the driver's side is #7. if it goes pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff, then it's likely a manifold gasket. but I don't see how you could have messed it up changing a PCV valve. it was probably screwed up before you got in there, you just got in a position where you noticed it. rattling exhaust? any number of things. heat shield loose, converter shot, muffler shot, hanger loose, collector loose, etc...

Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gentleman Jack

#4 spark plug is on the passenger side. 4th one back on the driver's side is #7. if it goes pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff pff, then it's likely a manifold gasket. but I don't see how you could have messed it up changing a PCV valve. it was probably screwed up before you got in there, you just got in a position where you noticed it. rattling exhaust? any number of things. heat shield loose, converter shot, muffler shot, hanger loose, collector loose, etc...
ok sorry about the plug # i didn't want to look on the book to see what exactly one it was. anyways. and mm no it dosent go pff pff pff.... and well i didn't messed it up changing the pcv valve i broke the pcv valve hose will changing the valve. mm it dosent sound all the way to the muffler, it sounds more like from the cat to the the exhaust manifold. cuz i can hear it like underneth the or a little bit above the pssger seat.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

check the donut gasket from the manifold to the midpipe.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok guys i know its old and stuff , but yesterday i saw when the my driver side exhaust manifold puff out what seems to be water just a little bit from the corner of plug #7, i guess my gasket ismest up, so my question was what damage can be done to my motor? or does it loose power anything? should i change my gasket ASAP? what are the side effects of a mest up gasket?