LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Census

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

man y dont ppl get wat i say on here. i agree totally with wat they do and wat u said. but i stated that its not needed which you technically agreed with me by sayin with out it you need to drive it soft. if you made a poll somewhere you would realize that theres a ton of ppl that drive without the front on. but there just a bunch of stupid ppl

Old 10-15-2009, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

MY man, ty camaro 69.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28rob18
man y dont ppl get wat i say on here. i agree totally with wat they do and wat u said. but i stated that its not needed which you technically agreed with me by sayin with out it you need to drive it soft. if you made a poll somewhere you would realize that theres a ton of ppl that drive without the front on. but there just a bunch of stupid ppl
OK, if that's what you meant. We agree then, just coming from different directions. So yes, you can drive without a bar, but you would be a fool to do so. Not needed, but definitely wanted.
It's kinda like jumping out of an airplane. You don't need a parachute to jump out, but you want one to pretty much guarantee a safe landing!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-15-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I can not answer anything about sway bars in terms of drag strip performance, but here's a quick lesson in sway bars for folks who want their car to handle:

Up to a point, heavier sway bars will produce lower body roll at that end of the car. There is a certain point that will optimize the tire contact patch based on aspect ratio and tire design, along with the wheel alignment used. In other words, adding thicker bars will only help up to a point, and beyond that, they will be detrimental.

Increasing roll stiffness in the front will make the car understeer more; increasing it in the rear will make it oversteer more. Here's where you need to optimize the handling balance based on what you want to use it for. Coming from the factory, a Camaro comes with a pretty good amount of understeer dialed in, just to make the car a bit more idiot-proof. If you wanted to be competitive in autocross, you might want to shift the balance a bit towards oversteer with a thicker rear bar. An adjustable rear bar is really a great thing as you can 'dial it in" a bit. For the racetrack, (or the street for that matter,) a bit less oversteer, and more of a neutral-to-slight-understeer set-up is called for.

Removing a front bar, on a car designed for a pretty thick front bar, will make it oversteer like crazy. If you are running skinny tires in the front for drag purposes, this will not matter much as you have no lateral grip there anyway. I'm not sure, but I would guess that this extreme a step would be overkill even if you wanted to drift the car.

Most sway bars come in matched sets, front and rear, and this is a good thing. Someone else has taken the trouble to dial in a balanced set up. This would be the best way to upgrade...as a set.

Keep in mind that the above explanation assumes you do not mess with anything else on the car; spring rates, ride height, tire pressures, (and at higher speeds, aerodynamic aids,) can also have a big effect on handling balance as well.

Last edited by Skyline; 10-15-2009 at 03:38 PM.