LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Census

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Census

I would like to conduct a census that I already know will be met with lots of answers that will conflict with my own but that is good cause I just wanna know if I am the only fool in the world that is running a non-back halfed camaro without a rear swaybar. Im getting the feeling that I might be.
WHO THINKS THAT THE REAR SWAYBAR IS VITAL? WHY? AND HAVE U RUN ONE WITHOUT IT TO SEE?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah man i wasnt bein mean in the other thread. the rear sway bars vital. fronts not but the rear keeps the rear from swaying and keeps you leaving straight at the track. it also help with how the rear suspension articulates? i think thats the right word. it also helps alot wit body role which pretty damn important out back

Last edited by z28rob18; 10-14-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Aint no thing man its strate...just differ in opinion. I think my supporting mods make up for the removal maybe. I understand the principals behind having it there but I have run with and without it and I honestly cant tell the difference. Seems to run faster without it...I run a super stiff suspension and i think it plants and transfers the weight better.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

well i guess if its workin for you then stick with it. it just seems pretty important to me i just cant put in words y

Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are two control bars in the back. i would say cornering at high speeds u will lose control. it will only happen once then say goodbye to the car.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"Anti-sway" bars are important to have (front more so than back), mostly if you want the car to handle when slamming it around a turn. They connect the left and right side suspension together. For instance, going through a left turn, the right wheel will have a great amount of down-force put on it. The sway bar gets pushed up as the suspension collapses. That upward motion twists the bar and also puts up force on the opposite side of the car's suspension. That helps to keep both sides of the suspension at a closer to level plane, and gets both tires planted better on the pavement. Without a bar, the right side would dive more and the left side would lift, causing the car to push through the turn and lose control a lot easier. Do not go without a front sway bar. A rear bar is optional if you're trying to "eek" every last drop of control out of the car.
The above is not my "opinion", that's plain old physics.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

i dont agree. well i agree with wat they do but the front bar isnt needed. you just cant drive lik an idiot with out one. the front being off helps alot with weight transfer and its weight out of the car

Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ yes if u drive like an old lady you can go without one. i like corning at 60 to 70 and not have the car handle like a stock 64 impala. i live in an area with lonely mountain roads with lots of nice corners and injoy the g forse on the tight ones.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

well i live where i turn slowly and then open that itch up

Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28rob18
i dont agree. well i agree with wat they do but the front bar isnt needed. you just cant drive lik an idiot with out one. the front being off helps alot with weight transfer and its weight out of the car
WOW, time to go back to physics class...
Look up Newton's law of motion: To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Again, without a bar, the more one side of the body of the car dives, the more the opposite side will lift. Go fast enough and you can lift the outer wheel off the ground.
You can't fight with or argue physics. But you can offset some of the reaction by holding back the action by tying the two together. And that's what a sway bar does. Going without a bar in front can be a dangerous and foolish thing to do, unless you "granny" it around a turn.....something our cars never see.