LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

bogs and no power when i hit gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Default bogs and no power when i hit gas

alright here is my problem
I have a 94 camaro and it has stumped me. Here is a list of what I have replaced:
1-Optispark
2-plugs and wires(AC Delco)
3-smog pump
4-fuel filter
When I first get in my car in the morning or when its cold, it runs fine, but once it warms up and I am cruising along and give it a little gas the car goes to bogging down and the tac does not raise the rpms and I do not speed up. Also when I take off, it stumbles and bogs. I have tested the fuel pressure and it is fine and I have tested the timing when it is out off drive and it is fine. O and another thing it only does it in a gear, In park or nuetral, it stumbles alittle but never as bad as when it is going down the road. Please if you have any idea tell me. Also I have checked the egr valve and that is not causing it

Old 08-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: bogs and no power when i hit gas

You may want to check the Throttle position sensor, and the engine temperature sensor, not the temperature gage sensor.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 PM

hey i have a94 camaro with basically the same problem, i have change the plugs,wires, oxigen sensor,egr, coil. and i am stumped. it,s fine on first sart up but when it warms up it misses some kinda bad!!!!!!!!! it does alright when you baby it or when you hold it to the floor it will run like a scalded dog but it won,t drive for @$#! when you are normal driving. my mechanic said the next step would be replacing the cap and rotor but to get to it you have to pull the water pump off to get to it so i might as well repl the pump also. this has already taken 800 out of my pocket and it will be another 800 to do the cap and pump. i can,t afford any more guess work.. can you help me with my problem or give me any advice?? THANKS!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Tech Droid

Welcome to the club. I had the same problem with my 94 . Put new cap & rotor on optispark & it helped some. Replaced plug & wires and it has been good since. The opticrap distributor is a bit of a problems on early Camaros with the unvented opticrap. Humidty causes corrosion which results in crossfires. The real kicker is, if the water pump leaks it drips on the distributor and seeps right in. So if you change the distributor do the pump also. I also found that the factory plugs work much better than most substitutes, but cost twice as much, you can get a cap and rotor kit for about $150 ( MSD makes a good one), rebuilt water pump about $80 -125.

If you want to do it yourself, the job is not too complicated but takes time. Basically, remove the fans, unbolt tje coil bracket, remove the water pump (save the coupling), remove the distributor, dont lose the drive shaft & mark so it goes back the same direction it came out, otherwise you get oil leaks.
You now have to remove the distributor cap and you will need a very small torx socket and you will have to grind down the otside so that it can reach in to where the screws are.

Change out the cap & rotor & put everithing back togheter last thing out first.

By the way, vented and unvented distributors cannot be interchanged unless the front cover and camshaft are changed. However you can bastardize an unvented distributor by installing a vented cap. It takes some work but it can be done.

If you want to replace them yourself the job is pretty straight forward, but takes a bit of time.
1) Remove the fans & shrouds
2) Remove water pump (6 bolts) don't lose the little drive shaft

Old 07-29-2006, 01:59 PM

well now i got a new problem with my camaro, its a 94 z28, when i crank it up, it starts fine but after a second or two it shuts off, my question is this, does the vats(theft deterrent stuff) have anything to do with the injectors firing or does it just stop it from cranking and the fuel pump from running.

I was working on it the other day and the security light has always stayed on when the key was on as long as i have had the car but it never gave me any troubles so i never worried about it but now the light flashes and it stoped my starter from turning, i know this because i bypassed the theft deterrent relay and it cranked up, but after a second or two it shut off just as before, i checked fuel pressure and it was good the entire time the car was running, i dont get this at all! i have heard that camaros are bad about the wires that run to the ignition comming loose would that cause my problem?

Old 07-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Droid

The VATS module could be bad. Yo can replace it, or have the PCM tuned to ignore it.