LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Air in leakage

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Default Progress so far

All

So far I have yet to find the problem , I have changed the intake gaskets and sealed the oil leak. I cleaned the injectors and changed the fuel filter , fuel pressure with key on is 41 psi , engine running its about 14 psi.
I checked each injector with a noid light and it is blinking. I went over the exhaust down to the cat no leaks.

I went through the wire harness from the ECM to each sensor and found no problems. I went over the grounds for the ECM and thought I had found the problem but no dice. I ran the engine after working on the grounds and it ran much better had a slight miss, turned it off to trace down the miss and when restarting it ruturned to the same problem.

I disconnected the ECM and checked for a performance chip none was installed. I closed it back up and plugged it in the engine would not start. let it set overnight to cool my temper and have a few cold ones and think over the problem. Tried it the next day it started and ran rich again.

At this point I am relegated to two options the Optispark or ECM. The Opti was replaced at a local garage and I spoke with the mechanic that did the install. He seemed confident in the repair. The engine would idle and run after the ground work I did earlier so the Opti will be the last item I will address in my mind.
In a previous post someone had mentioned the air filter it is new and the intake is clean.

Any ideas ?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fuel pressure is 14 at idle??? id say you have a fuel problem. pump or pressure regulator

Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Droid

14 PSI? Finally fessed up.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Default Update

Looking into the fuel pressure found the new fuel filter plugged , drained the tank and flushed all lines. It maintains fuel pressure now, cleaned the injectors again and flushed the fuel rail and all lines from the filter forward.
Procured a reman ECM and installed it runs now and will idle , no rich condition. I am changing out the plugs they were fouled , hope the O2 sensors clear up with a drive.
I have purchased the Moates ALDL cable and have the software to read data, next item to find an old laptop. I think the ECM was a large portion of the problem it seems the injectors were firing all the time. Going to send ECM out for repair and get failure cause. I found the alternator was putting out about 15.7 volts and have one enroute.

I picked this up for a project and have learned a lot about newer engines and their control systems.

One note found a video on you tube about injector cleaning, used it the second time and it worked well.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Default 1st ride

Replaced the alternator today, replaced plugs and she started and idled @900 rpm no smoke, no stalling or other issues thus far. Took a short ride and was smilin the whole time.
The pads and rotors need replaced and the brake lines as well , but it seems to run ok.
Again thanks to all for your advice and technical direction , off to change oil and filter and have a few cold ones to celebrate.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cclovern
Replaced the alternator today, replaced plugs and she started and idled @900 rpm no smoke, no stalling or other issues thus far. Took a short ride and was smilin the whole time.
The pads and rotors need replaced and the brake lines as well , but it seems to run ok.
Again thanks to all for your advice and technical direction , off to change oil and filter and have a few cold ones to celebrate.

good for you. There actually is value to all of the sensors. You'll now chuckle as well when you hear people say they are going old school.