General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Default Leakage

I have a 97' Camaro and everytime it rains my t-top leaks on the drivers side and thats the only leak I can find.........BUT if I pull the back passengers bucket seat up the carpet under it is wet...HELP ME PLEASE I'm so sick and tired of my car getting wet I've already had to replace the carpet one time and I have 30th Anniversary seats so if they mildew it's gonna cost a pretty penny to replace them. I'm wondering if its just the seals needing to be replaced or if theres something I can do to fix it without going through all that trouble....

Comments, suggestions, anything will help

Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
4th Gear Member

T-Tops cars = water leaks. So if you want to stop the water leaks, the T-Top seals will need to be replaced.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Could just be a loose fit from the seals being compressed over the years. You can lower the front and rear pin receivers to pinch the tops down tighter. You need to remove the interior trim pieces to get to them.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What they said plus...

Does the door sag? If the back of the door has dropped it will cause a leak right at the very back corner of the window. If you park with the front of the car pointing uphill it will leak bad if you part down hill its not so much. Even new seals will leak if the door is not sitting right when it closed. Normally the hindges sag and that beats up the striker that positions the door. Over time the striker will get worn so much it will allow the door to droop a little.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-22-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ What he said, too!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:44 PM

thx you so much for all your input. I have no idea where the leak is coming from thats causing the back seats to get wet b/c it's only under the seats and the leak is at the corner of the t-top on the inside of the car its right in the crease where the t-top slides in.......

Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

under my rear passanger seat filled up with water too and although the t-tops leak it was only like a few drips but yet the entire carpet under the seat has a mini swinning pool in there. I traced it back to the trunk, the seal was not fitting in the corner above where the rear speakers are so i used some sealent under the seal and guess what its fixed? dunno if its the same problem cause my seal looked ok but it didn't fit super tight so the water managed to sneak in, it was even worse parking forwards because it fills up there in the trunk. Would be worth checking

Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ i think maudy is right. to get under the rear seat i think it would have to come from the hatch. check the hatch seal for cuts or rips and replace if found. if not try a flexable sealant under the hatch seal. use a sealant that is soft setting so u can remove if needed.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Take the car through a car wash, and bring a towel with you. The high pressure just might show you where the water is getting in.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

camaro 69, yer good plan, i sprayed mine and some got in the t-tops where the windows seal but i never went near the rear, then i looked though the hatch while spraying and saw a load of water trickle through the trunk seal, by the speaker and down the rear panel to under the seat

Quick Reply: Leakage