LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

94 Z28 LT1 runs when cold, shuts off when hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the sensor for the gage is behind the intake manifold on the block. the oil pressure sensor for the computer (which can sut the injectors off) is by the oil filter. the thing is im not sure if it will shut down the injectors because of no oil or oil pressure. the low oil pressure sensor for the computer or the low oil sensor (on the oil pan) would be the logical ones that could. pretty sure if the computer is not getting a pulse from the crank sensor it will think the motor is not turning over and will not fire the injectors and if the motor does not start in a certain time it will also go into non flood mode and shut the injectors down. this is my understanding of it but i am still learning and i could be wrong on some or all of these. lol.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear member

noid test.have you checked the injectors?i think they did put a "shut down"for low oil pressure but thought that was newer years.please correct me if i am wrong.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

HUUUUUUGGGGEEE Update guys! Last night I checked to see if I could see any of the wires lighting up and couldent.... So0o0o I was going to go buy a oil pressure sensor....before I went to autozone I decided to unplug it....well last night before unplugging it, it ran for 11min. and shut off... I just started it a while ago and before I started it I unplugged the sensor... And knock on wood its still running... its been 32 min. so far and its running great... So I believe thats what it was!! The sensor itself behind the intake when I was feeling for it, idk if its suposed to move like it was or not, I could litteraly wiggle it like 2 inches....but I unpluged it.. it makes a weird noise every now and again but the oil pressure gauge is through the roof(because its unplugged) and its running great!! 35min and counting!!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OMFG!! LoL I just went out to shut it off, and guess what.....before I made it to it, IT SHUT OFF!! so0o0oo back to square 1 again...If I dont get it figured out before the snow melts I'm gonna have them hook it up to the machine....But still should the sensor move that much??

Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if if the gage is maxed out it has a short and is grounding somewhere. is the end of the wire laying on the motor? thats really strange, that sensor is not suposed to have any effect on the system, just for pressure gage. i know they changed it to a one sensor system latter but dont know when, i think 97.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by wicked94z28
OMFG!! LoL I just went out to shut it off, and guess what.....before I made it to it, IT SHUT OFF!! so0o0oo back to square 1 again...If I dont get it figured out before the snow melts I'm gonna have them hook it up to the machine....But still should the sensor move that much??
if its the oil pressure sensor no its not supposed to move around. its screwed into the block. id say the top is busted and letting it move. if u have a small digital camera stick it back there and snap a couple pics of it and see if u can see.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Quick Update... When I went to take a pic of it to see what was up It broke off...it was so wigly because i think it was already broke just needed help getting off!! I dont think thats what the problem is though because if I unplug it it still does the same thing....Another thing I was wondering about is a guy at the parts store said He had one that did the same thing and he found out it was because the motor was getting the starter hot and it would shut the engine off?? Dont know if it will do that or not maybe one of you guys will know....Thought I would ask because it just so happens before it started doing what it is I put a starter on it.....still to much snow to get it to garage atm but just trying to find more stuff out!! Thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

just a thought my friends v6 camaro did this same exact thing, we replaced the fuel pump and a few sensors. didn't work though. he gave up and took it to a dealership *cringes* they fixed it for 200$ they said it was the ecu and some bad wiring or something could that be it?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I Took My Module off and ran it up to AutoZone and they tested it 8 times and it got super hot but worked fine and passed all 8...the boy working said he had a jeep do the same thing(i know a jeep is no where close to a camaro) but he said he took his to the dealer and it was the security system... they reset it and it hasent done it sense....Just thought i'd toss that out there because I did have the battery unplugged overnight before it started doing that because I put a starter on it... So with that being said does anyone know how to reset te security system?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

UPDATE!! Took it and had it scanned... came bad code 16 and 22 which is needs a distibutor and water pump gasket leaking.... going to get the stuff tomarrow and idk if ill have time to change it tomarrow but deff. before the end of the week!! Thanks for your guys help and hope it helps ppl with the same problem out!!

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 LT1 runs when cold, shuts off when hot